Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm

This guy arrived today…

622B6773-D0A6-4C9B-884A-A25EE8DEA0A3.jpeg
622B6773-D0A6-4C9B-884A-A25EE8DEA0A3.jpeg (114.67 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Excited to test it out this evening.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 pm

ooh cool - you running it stereo?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon May 16, 2022 8:14 pm

Dandolin wrote:ooh cool - you running it stereo?

I haven’t even plugged it in yet…but I plan to mess around with it in various configurations into my interface. Interested to try to run it with different effects chains per channel.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Wed May 18, 2022 1:56 pm

Been a moment since I indulged myself with a cheapo reverb:

Grabbed this for C$42, which is pretty cheap for reverb. I've seen this brand "Coolmusic" around for a couple years now but never tried one. The form factor is pretty small, it's like a extra-thick iphone basically.

This is actually the second reverb from this outfit, the previous one only had 8 modes, but two of them were the always enticing reverse and gate. Is more settings better? Or will they mostly suck?

Haven't plugged this in yet, so we'll see if it's at all good, and how much range there is in all these modes. Maybe I've been missing out on WAH reverb all my life. Also curious to try and figure our what the two modes labelled "SUR" are. (In my dream it's for "susurrous" mode, which would suit me for a reverb setting.)
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Wed May 18, 2022 2:32 pm

Sur...face?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

Is that setting for metal or meta? :lol:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed May 18, 2022 3:27 pm

i will be disappoint when i find out it's not Meta :mope:
already miss'd the opp for Metta :zen:
but Sur, like Big Sur? :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 pm

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:

Update #1!

Okay, so this is... well, not "shitty as expected", but it's found some unexpected ways to be shitty.

First of all, the pedal is an appealing shade of red. But when you turn it on, the light around the footswitch glows green. Huh?

In terms of actual use, the big surprise is that this is barely a reverb pedal, which is to say, most of those modes aren't that thing + reverb, they're just that thing. So you don't get reverb + flange, you just get a shitty flanger effect. Nothing of the right side of the dial actually has reverb. This is an audacious design choice.

The decay knob becomes "speed" for most of these effects. Some are interesting in a crappy way. Twisting the decay knob on the MOD TONE setting gives something I've quickly dubbed "shitty fabrikat". The CHORUS goes from zero to seasick-detuned pretty quickly.

SUR-1 and SUR-2 are different delays, so in reality, the reverbs are just CHURCH, HALL, ROOM-1, ROOM-2 and METAL. (STADIUM is maybe barely a reverb? Like a slapback, kinda?)

Just did a fairly quick test on the Concertmate-500 and the very digital reverbs managed to pick up on the buzzing harmonics the synth generates and create some kinda cool fuzzy tones. Will hopefully try on lap steel tomorrow.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 am

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:
First of all, the pedal is an appealing shade of red. But when you turn it on, the light around the footswitch glows green. Huh?

It's Christmas is May? :idk:

(Where's our "Bad Santa" smiley? :lol: )

No reverb + flange? That's disappointing. Was excited to hear about that. :(

Shitty effects + lap steel is promisin' though. :snax:

Merry XMAS. :hug:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Thu May 19, 2022 1:52 pm

Damn I had a feeling that would be the case. That it's a multi effect, not an effected reverb.
Last edited by Jero on Thu May 19, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Thu May 19, 2022 3:51 pm

This guy just came in. The post is crazy - this went from Phoenix to LA to Puerto Rico to Miami to Toronto to Calgary. The environmental impact of that transaction was immense:

D5D97010-0B7A-4127-9695-D2877201D74C.jpeg
D5D97010-0B7A-4127-9695-D2877201D74C.jpeg (86.38 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 19, 2022 4:30 pm

carbon bigfoot'd
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Thu May 19, 2022 9:35 pm

Dandolin wrote:carbon bigfoot'd

I wish pedals came with passports detailing everywhere they’ve been.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am

vidret wrote:
Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:
Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:

Update #1!

Okay, so this is... well, not "shitty as expected", but it's found some unexpected ways to be shitty.

In terms of actual use, the big surprise is that this is barely a reverb pedal, which is to say, most of those modes aren't that thing + reverb, they're just that thing. So you don't get reverb + flange, you just get a shitty flanger effect. Nothing of the right side of the dial actually has reverb. This is an audacious design choice.

The decay knob becomes "speed" for most of these effects. Some are interesting in a crappy way. Twisting the decay knob on the MOD TONE setting gives something I've quickly dubbed "shitty fabrikat". The CHORUS goes from zero to seasick-detuned pretty quickly.

SUR-1 and SUR-2 are different delays, so in reality, the reverbs are just CHURCH, HALL, ROOM-1, ROOM-2 and METAL. (STADIUM is maybe barely a reverb? Like a slapback, kinda?)

Just did a fairly quick test on the Concertmate-500 and the very digital reverbs managed to pick up on the buzzing harmonics the synth generates and create some kinda cool fuzzy tones. Will hopefully try on lap steel tomorrow.

Thank you for braving the unknowns for us all.
I would not have dared.

Indeed. If "fortune favors the brave", Heraclitus gonna retire before us all
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am

ah, the long-neglected lofi thread, merhumblegrumble...this sounds right up my alley :p

i actually like the mooer jawn (Reverie?) where they actually put the other fx inside the reverb loop - it's a nice trick i've seen also on some more respectable reverbs like the Empress, but no-one's really gone all in on it the way Mooer did. still, my lofi preference would be to stick various modulations in the loop of a Belton Brickverb :snax:

also, beyond the shitty fabrikat available when you twist the knob on the Mod Tone setting, what is that setting doing, HK - is it some kind of modulated/gated delay? :idk: :snax:

chacked some demos on YT - there seems to be another iteration of this pedlol with only 9 instead of 15 settings, but that one has a reverse reverb

also, i thought i recognized that name - AMT have long had a (more boring, but perhaps less lofi) reverb out called the Reverberry, hmmm
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear