Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What is in the post? GAS makes me more creative right?

Postby ck3 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Finally nabbed an original Roland AF-100 BeeBaa in decent condition for a reasonable price. Looking forward to seeing how well various clones compare to the original.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Dowi wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:
Dowi wrote:I know I only want one reverb in my life.

What a strange thing to say.

I can have 4 or more delays on the board and be totally cool with it, but reverbs? A really good one is enough. :idk:

Makes sense to me... Reverb is supposed to be the sound of the environment. It’s logical to keep it consistent.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 am

K2000 wrote:
Dowi wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:

I can have 4 or more delays on the board and be totally cool with it, but reverbs? A really good one is enough. :idk:

Makes sense to me... Reverb is supposed to be the sound of the environment. It’s logical to keep it consistent.

:whoa:
Go back to TGP, heretic!

Okay, I get how that works for some people. But I don’t really care about realistic rooms or authentic spring reverb sounds to satisfy boring cork sniffers. I like reverbs that do weird things to the sound and to shift between different odd reverbs and change the “space” the sound is working through to be odder.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am

if you're using them as a special effect - tabasco rather than salt - i can see having having a couple of verbs (one to be the salt & pepper, one to be tabasco) but i think most nuances of delay are lost live. all you can hear is how fast the repeats are and how loud they are.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:02 am

The nuance of a lot of things does drown in a band mix, yet we tend to obsess about those little details anyway.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:14 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:if you're using them as a special effect - tabasco rather than salt - i can see having having a couple of verbs (one to be the salt & pepper, one to be tabasco) but i think most nuances of delay are lost live. all you can hear is how fast the repeats are and how loud they are.

Proper bpm can be important (CBS and goroth have ruined me).
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:28 am

Nuance is why DOG invented the song intro.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:29 am

D.o.S. wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:if you're using them as a special effect - tabasco rather than salt - i can see having having a couple of verbs (one to be the salt & pepper, one to be tabasco) but i think most nuances of delay are lost live. all you can hear is how fast the repeats are and how loud they are.

Proper bpm can be important (CBS and goroth have ruined me).

yeah if you're the edge or wall-era dave gilmour i guess!!!!!!!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 am

Fuck. My cover is blown.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:11 pm

codetocontra wrote:The nuance of a lot of things does drown in a band mix, yet we tend to obsess about those little details anyway.

Yeah this.

"Can anyone hear the difference in a band mix?" is a question I now force myself to ask when getting a new piece of gear or deciding to flip old stuff. Not that it isn't fun to try gear for the sake of trying gear if you acknowledge what you're doing. But I'm trying to keep to a more rationalised setup
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
codetocontra wrote:The nuance of a lot of things does drown in a band mix, yet we tend to obsess about those little details anyway.

Yeah this.

"Can anyone hear the difference in a band mix?" is a question I now force myself to ask when getting a new piece of gear or deciding to flip old stuff. Not that it isn't fun to try gear for the sake of trying gear if you acknowledge what you're doing. But I'm trying to keep to a more rationalised setup

+1 on this.
It was one of the main reasons my pedalboard stayed the same for about 2 years when we were doing a lot of shows, and efficiency was the keyword.
too bad right now we play only a few times in a year, so i don't have that excuse anymore to gt rid of stuff :)* :lol:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Gone Fission wrote:
K2000 wrote:
Dowi wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:

:whoa:
Go back to TGP, heretic!

Okay, I get how that works for some people. But I don’t really care about realistic rooms or authentic spring reverb sounds to satisfy boring cork sniffers. I like reverbs that do weird things to the sound and to shift between different odd reverbs and change the “space” the sound is working through to be odder.

yeah, that's why i need only 1 reverb, and it's called Atmosphere :cry: sold it and regretting it ever since. Had the weirdest and best sounding patches i have ever heard. Not a fan of authentic reverbs at all.

i used to have 3 delays, one set to super fast speed and loud repeats, sounded like a resonance, one set as standard delay, and a third one for weirdenss (i.e. the CT5 for pitch shifting delays or similar stuff). It's not that i have 3 analog delays because of the three different voicings, who am i, an hi-fi fanatic? my aim is to make my guitar sound like BBBRWWAHRHGHKKOPOWZZZZZZZZZZZ
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:35 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:"Can anyone hear the difference in a band mix?" is a question I now force myself to ask when getting a new piece of gear or deciding to flip old stuff.

a balance has to be struck between sound of a thing and the, uhhh, [can't quite find exact word] ergonomics? hands-on-ness? manipulatability? tactility? of a piece of gear. like, i have owned a belle epoch, a CB echorec and a boonar. they all sound lovely, i can even imagine someone who prefers the sound of the CB echorec over the more expensive boonar, but i can put my hands on the boonar and make it do what i want without thinking too much. even though the people out front don't give a shit whether they're hearing my boonar or a goddamn NUX, the fact i am better at driving the boonar means that i do a better job.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:44 am

Chase Bliss Gen Loss should be arriving today!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:"Can anyone hear the difference in a band mix?" is a question I now force myself to ask when getting a new piece of gear or deciding to flip old stuff.

a balance has to be struck between sound of a thing and the, uhhh, [can't quite find exact word] ergonomics? hands-on-ness? manipulatability? tactility? of a piece of gear. like, i have owned a belle epoch, a CB echorec and a boonar. they all sound lovely, i can even imagine someone who prefers the sound of the CB echorec over the more expensive boonar, but i can put my hands on the boonar and make it do what i want without thinking too much. even though the people out front don't give a shit whether they're hearing my boonar or a goddamn NUX, the fact i am better at driving the boonar means that i do a better job.

This is absolutely a factor. I kind of include it into the original point implicitly, in that things that are easy for me to get good results out of free me up to pay more attention to playing the guitar (this is perhaps the main driving factor behind me liking gear). Therefore in a band mix the difference IS noticeable in a way. :idk: but yes, totally agree
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear