Vintage Synth - Power supply question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Vintage Synth - Power supply question

Postby Blood_mountain » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:34 pm

I found this vintage Siel DK80 synth at a local thrift store, but it’s missing the AC adapter part of the power unit. It has this goofy 5 pin plug. Anyone have any experience finding a power supply like this or modding something like this for a current power supply?
Attachments
AC42DB65-BE5E-4897-BC86-ACE666A054B3.jpeg
AC42DB65-BE5E-4897-BC86-ACE666A054B3.jpeg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Vintage Synth - Power supply question

Postby crochambeau » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:06 pm

Looks like a DIN plug variant: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141695634848

You can probably find the part elsewhere/cheaper if you look hard enough.

With respect to wiring it up to a power supply, you'll want to be absolutely certain which voltages go where. I would guess this is a bipolar 12 or 15 volt with a +5 line for the logics.

I've never been inside a Siel synth, if they were nice and generous it might have polarity protection, especially with a plug that could probably be forced in out of whack.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm

crochambeau wrote:Looks like a DIN plug variant: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141695634848

You can probably find the part elsewhere/cheaper if you look hard enough.

With respect to wiring it up to a power supply, you'll want to be absolutely certain which voltages go where. I would guess this is a bipolar 12 or 15 volt with a +5 line for the logics.

I've never been inside a Siel synth, if they were nice and generous it might have polarity protection, especially with a plug that could probably be forced in out of whack.

Thanks for the info. I found a picture of a Siel power adapter thing online. Apparently it's a 15V AC/AC Adapter.
Attachments
vintage-siel-ps80-ps-80-power-supply_1_5175c9d1908db49eb6ab86457619f061.jpg
vintage-siel-ps80-ps-80-power-supply_1_5175c9d1908db49eb6ab86457619f061.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 am

In situations like this, I will open the synth up and take a look at the power section. If you see a rectifier followed by the standard regulation and filtering sections then AC inlet is permissible.

Without a service manual or factory manual/document confirming what the power supply is, proceed with caution. I've done the listing snooping thing to collect little bits of data and the amount of power supply mis-listing by sellers is staggering.

Good luck!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:48 am

crochambeau wrote:In situations like this, I will open the synth up and take a look at the power section. If you see a rectifier followed by the standard regulation and filtering sections then AC inlet is permissible.

Without a service manual or factory manual/document confirming what the power supply is, proceed with caution. I've done the listing snooping thing to collect little bits of data and the amount of power supply mis-listing by sellers is staggering.

Good luck!

Someone else must have been eyeing it as well, as I went back to pick it up yesterday and it was gone. Which probably just saves me a lot of headache in reality!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Bittersweet that, but I fully get it. There have been loads of things I've noticed, only to be relieved when someone else takes the bait.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear