Thoughts on Roland JC-40 (or Jazz Choruses in general)?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Thoughts on Roland JC-40 (or Jazz Choruses in general)?

Postby tchen » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:14 pm

Despite the JC-120 being a staple of the shoegaze genre that I love so dearly, I've never considered it. Admittedly, I guess I've always been kind of a tube snob.

BUT, for some reason, the JC-40 has really grabbed my attention lately and I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one. That said, I haven't actually played one yet (might go do that today) or ever played any Jazz Chrous for that matter. I'm not really playing out or in a band context hardly at all these days, but I guess some things that really appeal to me are:

- My other amp is a silverface Pro Reverb; awesome amp, but kinda overkill for home playing. It seems like the JC-40 would make a great 'bedroom amp' but could easily hold its own in a band context as well? I like the idea that its not going to be heating up the room with tubes, has a headphone out (never thought I'd look for this in an amp) and line outs for recording.

- Stereo Ins! I've been experimenting with drone / soundscape stuff running from stereo pedals into my pro reverb and old Gibson 10" combo. Seems awesome that you could run stereo into the JC-40, and it actually treats the two 10"s as two separate amps.

- I can finally see what all the jazz chorus fuss is all about? Pristine cleans, perfect pedal platform, etc?
tchen

committed
committed

Re: Thoughts on Roland JC-40 (or Jazz Choruses in general)?

Postby Tall Walls » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:10 pm

I got excited about the JC-40 last year for some reason, but once I got it home I learned about the famous Jazz Chorus hiss--something I'd never heard about before, but once I experienced it for myself and went looking I found all kinds of people talking about it. It's not incredibly loud, but it's there, and for me it was borderline intolerable. And it's not there if you use the headphone jack! Do they have a special hiss generator going to the speakers?

What convinced me to return it to the store was that the stereo separation is not total. I can't find anyone talking about this, so maybe I was missing something, but on the one I had it was maybe a 75%/25% split. There's always something from the left input going to the right output and vice versa. This was the same through headphones. If what you want is just a stereo-ish sound, then I'm sure this is fine, but for my purposes it was useless.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby tchen » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:39 pm

Tall Walls wrote:I got excited about the JC-40 last year for some reason, but once I got it home I learned about the famous Jazz Chorus hiss--something I'd never heard about before, but once I experienced it for myself and went looking I found all kinds of people talking about it. It's not incredibly loud, but it's there, and for me it was borderline intolerable. And it's not there if you use the headphone jack! Do they have a special hiss generator going to the speakers?

What convinced me to return it to the store was that the stereo separation is not total. I can't find anyone talking about this, so maybe I was missing something, but on the one I had it was maybe a 75%/25% split. There's always something from the left input going to the right output and vice versa. This was the same through headphones. If what you want is just a stereo-ish sound, then I'm sure this is fine, but for my purposes it was useless.

Hmm, I have come across the hiss issue in my research. I guess I really should try one first to make sure it's not a deal-breaker.
And that's really interesting about the quasi-stereo; I feel like I've read multiple accounts of people using the stereo and praising it for being such a unique feature, and like you said, I haven't seen anyone mention it. And you're definitely talking about the 75/25 issue happening, while using the stereo ins, not just the stereo effects loop?
tchen

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 pm

IIRC, the loop send in the JC-40 is mono, which is a great way to kill the stereo image from the inputs. That was a deal killer for me and a stupid big of half-assery on their part.

Oh, and two speakers in the same cab is very limiting for stereo except for the very specific JC-style stereo chorus thing where one side is dry and one side is the full-wet modulated super short delay that would be vibrato on its own. Panning delays don’t move as dramatically, phase inversion tricks with spread speakers collapse, and so on. So even if this had been executed with full separation from input to speaker, this would still have been an over-promised platform.

Putting aside all that, JC sounds are good, though maybe a bit bright/brittle with some dirt and fuzz. I think Medicine might have leaned into that.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Medicine used amps?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:35 pm

qersty wrote:Medicine used amps?

How much on the early albums is hard to say, but at least live, and sounds like Medicine to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qgVEVv3JFDI

Early days with Jim Putnam, later of Radar Brothers, on rhythm guitar.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:43 am

tchen wrote:Despite the JC-120 being a staple of the shoegaze genre that I love so dearly, I've never considered it.

Well, you should :cool: :lol:

There are a few threads I'll peek around for, but the consensus I recall was that nothing compared to the original JC 120, as it does what it does & that's why it's the staple, and also why it costs what it does.

Also, I can't recall NOT ever hearing about the hiss problems with the JC's, so maybe we are on opposite sides of the universes :facepalm:

Edit: just buy a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212, or any Peavey 2-speaker amp, and you will probably be as happy with (hopefully) less hiss woes and a significantly cheaper, virtually indestructible amp! Loud SS cleans & a great platform 4 peddles, of course :summon:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tall Walls » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:13 pm

tchen wrote:And you're definitely talking about the 75/25 issue happening, while using the stereo ins, not just the stereo effects loop?

Yes, this was going into the front of the amp. I only had a 24-hour period where I could return it for a full refund, so it's all kind of a blur, but I'm pretty sure I tried the effects loop as well, because I was trying everything.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 am

FWIW, a friend of mine had a JC-60 that I used extensively, for recording and rehearsing. It sounds fantastic and takes any pedal you throw at it. A few years later I stupidly bought a JC-50, thinking it would be a similar amp. Bam! Wrong. The 50 doesn't like dirt very much, and is far from being up to par with a 60. One of the differences is that the JC-50 has no mid knob. Could it be the reason why, I don't know. But if you find a JC-60 at a decent price, just grab it!
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 am

I have a JC-55 - it does the JC thing stupid well, with the weaknesses of the absolutely shitty dirt circuit (I've used it once in twenty years!).

It got effectively replaced, however, by the CE-2W.

The CE-1 circuit in the pedal IS the Jazz Chorus sound, without 50 years of circuit drift and that little bit of background hiss.

Should you try a 40, I'd be sure to check the line outs to make sure that it's quiet enough for you.

I haven't played one so can't comment, but often times combo line outs suck - ok, most of the time.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:19 pm

also consider a fender princeton chorus. 35W solid state and stereo fx loop. still super cheap on the used market. but if you need band volume you might need the fender ultimate chorus though.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:23 pm

tchen wrote:- My other amp is a silverface Pro Reverb; awesome amp, but kinda overkill for home playing. It seems like the JC-40 would make a great 'bedroom amp' but could easily hold its own in a band context as well? I like the idea that its not going to be heating up the room with tubes, has a headphone out (never thought I'd look for this in an amp) and line outs for recording.

- Stereo Ins! I've been experimenting with drone / soundscape stuff running from stereo pedals into my pro reverb and old Gibson 10" combo. Seems awesome that you could run stereo into the JC-40, and it actually treats the two 10"s as two separate amps.

- I can finally see what all the jazz chorus fuss is all about? Pristine cleans, perfect pedal platform, etc?

Yes, yes, and yes. My friend and bandmate has a JC40 he records and rehearses with. Holds up in a full band context no problem. Drum kit, Traynor YBA-2 stack, and a Sunn Solarus in a noisy rock setting for context. Can be a quiet or loud recording/practice amp. Easy pedal platform. It does treat stereo input how you described. He had a JC-120 in the past and he does not mention missing it mostly due to it being crazy heavy to transport. It is definitely an amp I hope to have myself in the future. It's size to loudness ratio is too great. If you're looking for a more manageable and versatile pedal platform amp for shoegaze adjacent, I definitely recommend it.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Return to General Gear