stereo verbzzz: the grab your headphones thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: stereo verbzzz: the grab your headphones thread

Postby systemofameow » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm

adamajah wrote: :lol: Ok that makes more $ense.

And your pedal chain sounds rad. I dig the sound of that Black Forest.

What flavor of FF are you building?

It's going to be very similar to the Black Acid by Emanating Fist, with some minor component substitutions due to availability and comments I've read on DIY forums. I've made repairs to pedals before, but this is the first time I've built a pedal so I hope it goes well for me. It's helpful that fuzz faces tend to be good introductory circuits for novice builders. The Black Forest is another recent addition to my board and I'm really enjoying it! I've been keeping the gain around noon and it just gives my sound a nice bit of extra thickness and volume to it. I suppose I'll affectionately refer to the two pedals as my "black stack" since I'll be running them right next to one another...

rfurtkamp wrote:Assuming you're talking about the RE-20 Space Echo, the reverb on it is the only "stereo" aspect - there's no panning etc on the echo itself. Not that this is a bad thing (and frankly, the "Stereo" aspect of the reverb is MINIMAL), but just pointing out the obvious. If big box actual then it'll be direct signal only out of one out, echo out the other. (I have both).

If RE-20, I'd run the Mimiq into the delay. On the big box, I'd probably still do that and just use it mono.

I do mean the Boss pedal and I don't mind that there isn't a panning stereo aspect to the delay. Although wow now I'm trying to imagine running some kind of effects line where everything is true stereo and the prospect seems just about as horrifying as it is arousing. :lol:
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 pm

The caution I have with going everything true stereo is gotta make sure there's a "middle" somewhere.

I ended up solving that myself by having a "master board" that feeds multiple amps and the rack - it flies guitar > master board > then splits into a A and B pair (A1 & A2 straight amp after the master board, A1 having an actual Space Echo in the loop of the HR Deluxe, A2 having a Rubberneck in front of the Marshall DSL1), B pair gets split into modeler-land through the DC-2W and then various rack stuff run through the patchbay to each modeller (or both) as needed, and with outs to the Jazz Chorus or the Mustang V w/4x12 (this having an option in the patchbay to route either modeler straight into its stereo amp section and ignore the Mustang itself if I want speakers in the room).

Pretty much it's a flowchart from hell at this point, but it's mine!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 am

systemofameow wrote:
codetocontra wrote:Really enjoyed the Meris Mercury 7 stereo spread yesterday while listening back to some recordings. Octave up shimmer can be gross, partly because of what it has become and party ear murder, so I recommend the lower octave shimmer. Like praising the underworld, perfect for doom.

Those Meris products (Merc7 and Polymoon, in particular) sound awesome and I've wondered how they'd work out for heavier music. A friend of mine uses a Merc7 in his doom project, but only for pensive sounding clean parts. I'd love to hear more about how you're using yours.

I sold mine in a massive purge. Mainly used it with my tabletop drone setup. My main amp is an old JMP and it never really likes to take reverb and gain pedals at the same time, but the Mercry 7 sounded okay enough, I could dial in the highs and lows better. My bigger gripes is that the modulation and vibrato lack some controls to make them more present in the reverb tail. Liked the pedal quite a bit, just was a victim of poor decisions. :facepalm: Someday I will get another Mercury 7 or Space. Both were a lot of fun to have around and checked a lot of boxes from what I want out of a stereo reverb pedal.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to General Gear