Portable Synth Speakers

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Portable Synth Speakers

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am

Brands has a jbl speaker that he plugs his op-1 into. I love this idea but I’m wondering if I would want a stereo set of speakers.

I’d prefer to have a passive set, so I don’t have another thing to charge.

I’ve got an op-1, modal skulpt, and kaossilator that I’d use the speakers for.

Any suggestions?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Portable Synth Speakers

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 am

How portable do they need to be? Will you carry them on the subway, or just throw them in a car?

Do you have a mixer already? Do you want a speaker with multiple inputs?

Since you mention wanting a passive set, do you have an amplifier already?

Do they need to be loud enough to play with a band, or just so that you can hear yourself clearly at home?

For a synth I generally find that PA speakers are the best option, but it really depends on what you're willing to spend and carry.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 am

Just me on the couch. I’ll bring them to a hotel when I travel. So not very loud at all. I’ll keep them in my backpack

I’d prefer to not need an amplifier. Back in the day we used to plug speakers into the headphone jacks of our Walkman without needing additional amplification.

Being passive isn’t a dealbreaker, but preferred
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

I'd probably just get whatever portable bluetooth speaker wirecutter recommends and double check that it has a 3.5mm input.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Or even maybe a decent PC speaker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:29 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:Brands has a jbl speaker that he plugs his op-1 into. I love this idea but I’m wondering if I would want a stereo set of speakers.

Any suggestions?

The mini boom bluetooth speakers are stereo, and you can link 2 for true stereo.
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:39 pm

WORMDIRT wrote:
JonnyAngle wrote:Brands has a jbl speaker that he plugs his op-1 into. I love this idea but I’m wondering if I would want a stereo set of speakers.

Any suggestions?

The mini boom bluetooth speakers are stereo, and you can link 2 for true stereo.

The UE Boom can link like 150 with an app. Kinda nuts. Seems up Jack's alley considering all the KVLT.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 am

Can verify the UE Boom, had two and those sound great in stereo. There are some other knock-offs I've seen recently though can't find the link at the moment.

But a mixer will be needed if using an op-1, modal skulpt, and kaossilator in parallel.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:56 pm

I dunno about passive but I got a JBL flip 4 after seeing brands' & I've been in love with it since. The sound is super clear & full-bodied, and I only have to charge it (via USB mini) about once a week with very regular use (I think it's about 12 hours battery life?). It's also stereo, but you have to have it aimed pretty much at the dead center of your head to get the effect. I got mine on eBay for like $50 shipped and you can chain multiple together if you feel so inclined, but I have no clue if you can do true stereo that way.

If you're wanting passive, theoretically you could just harness any old toy keyboard speaker to a 1/8" plug and go straight in like you were saying you used to do with Walkmans back in the day, but based off my experience using it with my mixer I don't think the OP-1 pushes the volume necessary for sonic clarity. That's the tradeoff though, I can't imagine you'll find a scenario in which a passive speaker setup will do any justice to a full-bodied mix like you can achieve with the OP.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Any suggestions?

Dude the speaker I have is semi-shit. it's good For a cheap Little thing but there are so many possible better ones in just the JBL range. My neighbor has an upgrade that looks like a tube of sorts and we could throw small parties with that shit. Buy anything and amplify that's all that matters
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am

fcknoise wrote:

Any suggestions?

Dude the speaker I have is semi-shit. it's good For a cheap Little thing but there are so many possible better ones in just the JBL range. My neighbor has an upgrade that looks like a tube of sorts and we could throw small parties with that shit. Buy anything and amplify that's all that matters

I’ve got several “big options” via keyboard amps and hifi stereo systems. So I went to target and bought the best $25 option. The next price point was close to $100, so I said duck that.

Pretty happy with what I got, but I’m scheming something else now too!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear