New band...Needs new dirt :/

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New band...Needs new dirt :/

Postby Benn Roe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 pm

I think the best pedalboard decisions I ever made were picking up my ES-5 and Quartz Timer. The ES-5 (or 8, if you prefer) is so crucially flexible and intuitive for controlling your board, and will dramatically cut down on pedal dancing. The Quartz Timer (v2) syncs all your tap tempo pedals, but has a lot of other powerful options too. Both are MIDI-compatible if you decide to go that route. I honestly don't think I could play in my current band without them.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Have ES-5 and use MIDI. Can confirm that this is wise.
Now you'll have my looking at the Quartz Timer.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 pm

ES-5, cool stuff indeed. My board's a mess though, it looks like I robbed a thrift store or something. Never bothered me all that much, but like I said, rehearsing/writing would be less of a pain if everything would be less unreliable and noisy...So yeah, I guess right now my priority would be replacing my Ibanez ES-2 with something that's a bit more solid, and has tap tempo that actually works.

Recieved the gunslinger today btw. Tried it on my shitty solid state practice combo, which turns everything into crap. As expected, the ginslinger sounded bland through it, at best. Curious to try it through the Traynor next week, should make a world of difference.
Last edited by frigid midget on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 pm

that's an interesting way to temper expectations!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:09 am

Tried the gunslinger through a decent amp and my 4x12, at high volume levels. Not my own amp, it's in the shop.

The gunslinger delivered. Nothing magical, it's not the end-all-be-all overdrive pedlol...But it does what I hoped it would do. The claims of "note defentition"...turn out to be ligit. Not something I found in many of the higher gain dirt pedals I owned till now. I vaguely remember the Wampler Plextortion I tried for while, and an old H&K Tube Factor, those might've done an equally good job.

There's a fairly wide range of gain levels, that don't seem capable of sucking. Great eq control too.
Insanely loud pedal btw. Tones of gain on its own, cranking/stacking with a tiny amount of extra gain, easily yields into juicy saturation, borderline squeeky feedback. The extreme noise levels I got with the gain cranked, might've had something to do with the rest of the pedals in the chain, or with my buddy's amp.

My curiousity for other similar options isn't completely gone, atm I've got my eye on the Mojo Hand FX rook. And the Zvex Distortron, Way Huge Fat Sandwich,...:)
Last edited by frigid midget on Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

:!!!:

Yeah man. It's a dank box IMO. I find myself always starting out super high gain with it and then by the end of the evening I've dialed it back because it just sounds so good all over the gain range like you said. Mine isn't particularly noisy either so it may be your buddies rig.

Glad you're digging it. :excellent:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dungus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Play with less gain and get your bass player a TAFM. Yossssss

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Plus, if you run something into it, it really opens up those filters. Hm-2 kind of extremes. It certainly not the best thing ever, but for what you were asking, I figured it'd do the trick.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:56 pm

BetterOffShred wrote::!!!:

Yeah man. It's a dank box IMO. I find myself always starting out super high gain with it and then by the end of the evening I've dialed it back because it just sounds so good all over the gain range like you said. Mine isn't particularly noisy either so it may be your buddies rig.

Glad you're digging it. :excellent:

Funny, that's exactly what happened during my first test run as well :)
The noise was only there when I went through the clean channel, no unusual noise through the dirt channel of the amp. You'd expect it the other way around :idk:
Anyway, that kinda proves that the noise is an amp issue.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Jero wrote:Plus, if you run something into it, it really opens up those filters. Hm-2 kind of extremes. It certainly not the best thing ever, but for what you were asking, I figured it'd do the trick.

Yeah, I didn't yet mess with different pedals before/after it, just had my Microamp in front of it (a vintage one ofcourse, moar mojo), and though it doesn't really get gritty, it does have the tendency to piss off whatever comes after it. I hope to have my own amp back by the end of the week, than I'll try harmonic percolator > gunslinger :animal:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

frigid midget wrote:
Jero wrote:Plus, if you run something into it, it really opens up those filters. Hm-2 kind of extremes. It certainly not the best thing ever, but for what you were asking, I figured it'd do the trick.

Yeah, I didn't yet mess with different pedals before/after it, just had my Microamp in front of it (a vintage one ofcourse, moar mojo), and though it doesn't really get gritty, it does have the tendency to piss off whatever comes after it. I hope to have my own amp back by the end of the week, than I'll try harmonic percolator > gunslinger :animal:

Shiiiit, I'm gonna try that right now! :idea: I have 4 of Dandolins on loan...things are about to get nasty. One of them already has hm-2 tone controls in it! :animal:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 am

Dungus wrote:Play with less gain and get your bass player a TAFM. Yossssss

This is pretty smart.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

goroth wrote:

This is pretty smart.

Here's an even better plan: find a bass player. One that can afford to buy his own crap :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

frigid midget wrote:
goroth wrote:

This is pretty smart.

Here's an even better plan: find a bass player. One that can afford to buy his own crap :)

Does the bass player's girlfriend's or parents' money count?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Gone Fission wrote:
frigid midget wrote:
goroth wrote:

This is pretty smart.

Does the bass player's girlfriend's or parents' money count?

The girlfriend alone might even be enough :cool:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to General Gear