2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Winter NAMM / 2018 notes

Postby actual » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:57 pm

It's really "targeting" (whatever that means) the Roland JD-Xa as much as the Rev2, even more so considering that both are hybrid synths.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mamsk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:If anything, I think it will help Behringer Deepmind sales.

best value out there by a mile
mamsk

involved
involved

Postby dozicusmaximus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Hell you could get a Deepmind and a Sledge.
I always forget about the JDXa.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm

greyscales wrote:Also I don't really see the point of the Volca Mix..... but I promise I like Korg!

I think the Volca Mix makes a lot of sense for people who own 3 Volca synths? Doesn't it?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 am

Dungus wrote:Sounds beautiful, but damn do CB pedals make me feel like a fucking poor loser who can't buy ANYTHING :thumb:
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby 01010111 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 am

Aghartha wrote:
Dungus wrote:Sounds beautiful, but damn do CB pedals make me feel like a fucking poor loser who can't buy ANYTHING :thumb:

Now that I can afford more to spend a little more on gear I feel weird about doing so? Like, because it’s more expensive, it feels a little less.... genuine? As though “real” musicians wouldn’t use it because they can’t afford it?

I mean, all the music from the past was made using the cheap garbage that was available at the time. So, using gear that’s expensive and has all the bells and whistles makes me feel like less of a musician and more like a bougie gear nerd.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:12 am

I like how you think Batman <3
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 am

actual wrote:It's really "targeting" (whatever that means) the Roland JD-Xa as much as the Rev2, even more so considering that both are hybrid synths.

"Targeting" is probably the wrong word but you get the drift. Definitely does compete with the JD-Xa as well and I would argue the Prologue falls flat again there too. Although aesthetically I bet people are much more drawn to the Prologue because it isn't as gaudy. Although the Roland is 4 voice analog and 64 digital so you can see it's more of a digital machine with a bit of analog for good measure.

MrNovember wrote:
greyscales wrote:Also I don't really see the point of the Volca Mix..... but I promise I like Korg!

I think the Volca Mix makes a lot of sense for people who own 3 Volca synths? Doesn't it?

Yeah! It definitely could but it just seems so limited and seems less thought out than other Volcas. Especially with the shitty speakers and RCA output (I loathe RCAs). Give it a 1/4" out, true panning, make the aux in a 4th channel, and then it makes more sense to me. Really getting toy vibes off of this one compared to other Volcas.
And I think the price is too high for what you really get. Real mixers aren't that expensive.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:15 am

greyscales wrote:
actual wrote:It's really "targeting" (whatever that means) the Roland JD-Xa as much as the Rev2, even more so considering that both are hybrid synths.

"Targeting" is probably the wrong word but you get the drift. Definitely does compete with the JD-Xa as well and I would argue the Prologue falls flat again there too. Although aesthetically I bet people are much more drawn to the Prologue because it isn't as gaudy. Although the Roland is 4 voice analog and 64 digital so you can see it's more of a digital machine with a bit of analog for good measure.

I wouldn't say that it falls flat. Synthesizers aren't computers or smartphones supposed to out-spec each other, they're instruments, and at the end of the day the important thing is how they sound. Vintage synths are still in very high demand, despite them not being able to compete with modern synths in bells and whistles.
In a fuck-marry-kill between these three synths, I'd prolly marry the Prologue. I like what I've heard so far, despite selling my Minilogue last year.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 am

I see your point for sure, but I'm not sure that's always true. If an instrument/pedal/synth makes a sound that others don't, people are more willing to put up with lack of features, knobs, control, etc. But I don't think that's really the case here. The Prologue is missing so many standard features. It doesn't have a sequencer! It has a single LFO! That was fine 30 years ago but this is supposed to be a modern flagship poly.

The vintage/modern synth debate is legit, I'd rather have a Prophet 5 than a Rev2 or a Minimoog over a Sub37. An inspiring sound is more useful than any bells and whistles. Even without the extra features you know you can dial in a beautiful sound. Plenty of instruments are popular because of their ease of use and simplicity. But I don't think the Prologue was made with that intent. It just seems like Korg isn't as thoughtful without Tats.

At the end of the day I know I'm just disappointed because I was so into what they did with the Minilogue and Volcas, whereas this seems like a lateral move. Or maybe a half step backwards.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 am

greyscales wrote:I see your point for sure, but I'm not sure that's always true. If an instrument/pedal/synth makes a sound that others don't, people are more willing to put up with lack of features, knobs, control, etc. But I don't think that's really the case here. The Prologue is missing so many standard features. It doesn't have a sequencer! It has a single LFO! That was fine 30 years ago but this is supposed to be a modern flagship poly.

On the contrary, I think that 3rd osc opens up a world of new sounds the Rev2 and JD-Xa won't be able to cop, tho I agree that the single LFO is a big wtf.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 am

01010111 wrote:Now that I can afford more to spend a little more on gear I feel weird about doing so? Like, because it’s more expensive, it feels a little less.... genuine? As though “real” musicians wouldn’t use it because they can’t afford it?

I mean, all the music from the past was made using the cheap garbage that was available at the time. So, using gear that’s expensive and has all the bells and whistles makes me feel like less of a musician and more like a bougie gear nerd.

Ummm....what? "All the music" of what civilization are you referring to? Your statement might be true of tribal music in pre-industrial cultures, but it's not true for much of recent Western tradition.

Before the rise of the guitar, keyed instruments and strings dominated Western music for hundreds of years. If music was written and passed down through generations, it was often not going to be written or performed on "cheap garbage."

Even over the last 100 years, popular music has been written with concert and marching band instruments, in addition to expensive synthesizers and premium electric guitars. Your statement seems to ignore thousands of examples that invalidate such a declaration.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 am

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 am

alternate finish headed to RnRV in Chicago.

something new coming, or another alternate finish?

Is this grey box the Space Race Neo? ;)

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 pm

01010111 wrote:
Aghartha wrote:

Now that I can afford more to spend a little more on gear I feel weird about doing so? Like, because it’s more expensive, it feels a little less.... genuine? As though “real” musicians wouldn’t use it because they can’t afford it?

Can relate. My interest in gear was cultivated from salvation & finding things curbside/dumpster'd/landfill'd and other various forms of flotsam. Trying to achieve premium results through budget & often far-below-optimal means; turning trash to treasure is super satisfying. :hobbes:

NSFW: show
Fast forward a decade and I sold one such salvation find for a premium, it was an Audio Research tube amp in need of some tlc, probable restoration. I banked approx $800 and with that, was able to acquire a D*A*M Green Bastard, basically a 1k pedal. The attention to detail and tuning was jawdropping and an invaluable reference point to experience, however ~10months later moved it along to keep a far less pricy solution, which in my guitar rig just seems a bit more harmonious across the board. Having an $800+ pedal is something I can reconcile if it's the #1 or #2 cornerstone of my sound. Otherwise it begins to weigh on my mind like "how can I better stretch that value?"

Last year, I bought a bunch of "what's the best *older* gear I can find for bargain prices?" pedals after sorting "by lowest price" and as a result scored some beat to shit Thomas Crybaby from 1975, $55 shipped. All original including the pot and it sounds better than $200-300 wahs I've owned despite having the *undesirable* TDK inductor. Also grabbed an analog delay [dm-3 basically] for under $40. Using them together and loving the results has been more satisfying than any moment (I can remember) spent with the GB.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear