IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the endless boogie!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the mo'fuckin' m

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 pm

PART TWO:

NSFW: show
The Landphil is my favorite of the bunch, and was therefore the first into the system... this resulted in LESS INFORMATION regarding this one. There's a lot of corners to explore, and it became apparent right off the bat that depicting the range would entail more pics than I care to note (because I've got to keep some sort of sense as to what's going on, and those three top knobs are difficult to photograph). PLUS the scope was acting up, so I had to re-range a few controls between this one and the rest.

Sharp excursions go hand in hand with high frequency artefacts, of which there are ample available (in addition to the rest, make no mistake - a cool pedal, and one I'll consider hunting out).

Here I am with all controls but master volume dumped.

I must say, line amplifier type circuits do present the biggest curves, and I guess it makes sense that distortion measurements rank higher with the loud clean stuff than the *apparently* loud dirty stuff.

More range, knobs apparent.

This one, with treble cranked provided the highest reading of the lot. I had to knock the o-scope down a click to keep from going off screen, and the meter reads a healthy does, closest to 10% of the bunch (again, still figuring this shit out!).

I think for meaningful measurements I need to balance the input/output levels, so all signal hitting the rig is equal. Higher distortion measurements in a lot of cases (especially the last one) are largely indicative of MORE VOLTAGE GAIN through the device - SO FAR THE LAST TIME, THIS IS NOT A SOLID MEASUREMENT :thumb:

Thanks for having me! I think the Landphil might be winding up on my to have list, because it's such a different build than what is churned out of my own shop.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Awesome, crochambeau, thanks (& you're welcome)!

I think Matt'll dig seeing the scope pics in the thread. Definitely not your typical tourbox contribution. It's nice getting a different perspective.

You may wanna talk to him about a trade as well. I think he'd be into the RMA build aesthetic (both sonically & visually). I know he likes rusty stuff. :D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 am

Chankgeez wrote:Awesome, crochambeau, thanks (& you're welcome)!

I think Matt'll dig seeing the scope pics in the thread. Definitely not your typical tourbox contribution. It's nice getting a different perspective.

You may wanna talk to him about a trade as well. I think he'd be into the RMA build aesthetic (both sonically & visually). I know he likes rusty stuff. :D

Trombones? Extra rusty please!

I can't wait. I've got a fuzz buzz kill going right now so I hope those lil box turns everything around.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 am

:erm: I was not talking about rusty trombones. :surprise: Although, that's something you'll have to ask Matt about. :lol: I was talking about pedals. :doom:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Good info on the whores filter. That whole testing setup is pretty freaking neat and provided some good info on levels and distortion.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Good info on the whores filter. That whole testing setup is pretty freaking neat and provided some good info on levels and distortion.

Yeah, I think the filter is a nice, well rounded sweep. I interpret the wave shape of the filter as being pretty clean, but producing a nice resonant bump outside the very narrow notch filter in the analyzer, hence the nicely balanced curves.

I'm really still working the kinks out of the whole process, it is my goal to be able to publish reasonably accurate and relatable specs. I should probably bite the bullet and get an FFT Spectrum Analyzer, but for now even goofy lines are better than the marketing mumbo-jumbo that clogs my mental arteries like so much fast food. I guess this is a conversation for another thread.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:00 pm

It's a good conversation to have though.

Those spectrum analyzers are fun to look at. Could just be my ring mod soul talking to me...something about sidebands and harmonics haha.

I dig the resonance on the whores. It's just enough without being annoying. Lately highly resonant filters with the squeal have been bothering me. Whores sounded pretty clean filter wise to my ears.

Landphil was my favorite too.
Sharp excursions go hand in hand with high frequency artefacts, of which there are ample available (in addition to the rest, make no mistake - a cool pedal

Is spot on and way better said than my text walls haha. I think I said character.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:21 pm

lordgalvar wrote:

Not to bias anyone else's opinion on this :lol: , but I think Landphil is everbody's favorite. :love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BossMann73 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am

Chankgeez wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:

Not to bias anyone else's opinion on this :lol: , but I think Landphil is everbody's favorite. :love:

The Landphil is so friggin good I am using it as my main bass preamp on one of my boards. Set at low gain, the massive presence it adds to my tone is pretty breathtaking. It sounds humongous. Just a little flick of the distortion knob then takes it into a whole new territory and the sound never becomes too mushy or unarticulate until you get to super high gain, which I never use. The Landphil is a huge improvement over the Blower Box and I don't think the two can even be compared. I love the huge footprint of the pedal too. Such an improvement over so many other boutiques I own or have owned where seemingly no thought is given to the placement of the stomp switch and it often ends up being way too close to important knobs. I'll take a large pedal that I can easily stomp on in a fast paced gig over anything else. Luckily the Landphil delivers mightily in the tone department so I'm not really trading anything off in that regard. Excellent pedal!!
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:28 pm

The box is in my possession.

I played the box for 10 minutes, so more coming...

First impressions:
Power boost, great little overdrive. I wasn't expecting much from this as a bass player, so it surprised me

Landphil, man that's a big fucking box! I wish I had my old blower box for comparison. I didn't play loud so no real impression yet

Static fuzz, seems cool, played it the least

Whores, that gate trim knob is key. I'll elaborate later
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 pm

If loved the Blower Box, you're gonna LOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVE the Landphil. :love: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Damn, I suck at videos!

anyways, I'll have to re record anyways since I think the battery died like 1/2 way through

here's what I've got so far

starting at about 1:25 you can see that the WHORES freq knob almost acts like a gate knob when the switch is to the right. I turned the gate trimpot inside, to get the gated effect in the first place. :excellent:
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gregmon79 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:45 pm

I'll be posting some opinions soon guys. I'm so stoked!! Especially for the Boost, Landphil and Whores. I've had a Static Fuzz. I really like it but it fed back too much with my setup so I had to flip it. I'm gonna have me some fun with these bad boys. I've really been wanting to see if the Landphil would replace my BLowerBox. The BB has been on my board since I got it so it will be interesting to see how I get along with the Landphil. It's just so BIG! That may kill it for me. However, if I like it that much, I will have to get one and make room. This is gonna be so cool, I can't wait!
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Killing gods new EP is now available! http://killinggodsofficial.bandcamp.com ... pe-2015-ep
Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 am

I tried to re-create the lost video from this morning in a hurry to get it out in the mail. Sweet box

thanks Matt and Chank!!!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gregmon79 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

Some sweet idiotbox is on its way to me!!! This is gonna be so fuckin sweet. I'll be sure to get my findings and opinions up as they come guys. I play bass so it'll mostly be bass orientated. Hope that's cool. Thanks again to all of you who let me be part of this.
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Killing gods new EP is now available! http://killinggodsofficial.bandcamp.com ... pe-2015-ep
Gregmon79

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear