The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Postby dubhain » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 am

This is so cool! The U of A is my old stomping ground as I studied Physical Chemistry (grad school) there. Kind of hard to believe that this kind of research was going on right across the quad from me (well maybe not at the time I was there but still).

Have you used any other forms of spectroscopy to study these molecular junctions other than Raman? Or were you mainly interested in the vibrational modes?

The demo from Nick was excellent! He did a great job of briefly explaining the science behind the project. The pedal sounds pretty rad too. I also was digging the sound from Molecular Junction B.
Pedalboard Temple T34

Pedals DryBell Vibe Machine > EQD Hoof > SGFX If 6 Was 9 > Wilson Rippah wah > SGFX Custom Shop Buffer > SGFX Super Drive Ltd > SGFX Nitro > Dr Scientist BitQuest! > Dr Scientist Reverberator > Digitech JamMan Solo XT

Amp Laney VC15

Guitar customized Fender Powerhouse Stratocaster, Washburn acoustic
dubhain

interested
interested

Postby phantasmagorovich » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:29 am

Sweet demo there!

Sorry for being the class clown by the way. I just want to be a part of the cool kids but have nothing substantial to contribute.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ajbergren » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 am

dubhain wrote:This is so cool! The U of A is my old stomping ground as I studied Physical Chemistry (grad school) there. Kind of hard to believe that this kind of research was going on right across the quad from me (well maybe not at the time I was there but still).

Have you used any other forms of spectroscopy to study these molecular junctions other than Raman? Or were you mainly interested in the vibrational modes?

The demo from Nick was excellent! He did a great job of briefly explaining the science behind the project. The pedal sounds pretty rad too. I also was digging the sound from Molecular Junction B.

We have done all sorts of spectroscopy to characterize these- ultraviolet photoemission spectroscopy, x-ray photoemission spectroscopy, ultraviolte-visible spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy, and some others. They all provide different information, and it has been important in learning how to make these and what is going on.

Vibrational modes are great, because this has allowed us to determine that the molecular structure is intact after fabrication processes.

More recently, we have begun to actually do photocurrent spectroscopy on the junctions themselves (by exposing the molecular junction to light and recording the resulting photocurrent), which tells us about all kinds of cool things going on!
Important Disclaimer!!
*****Any Views or Opinions Expressed are my own personal views, and DO NOT necessarily reflect those of NRC.*****
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby futuresailors » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Neat! That was a great demo/explanation.

Would varying the thickness within a junction distort (hehe) the conduction curve?
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ajbergren » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:55 am

futuresailors wrote:Neat! That was a great demo/explanation.

Would varying the thickness within a junction distort (hehe) the conduction curve?

Yeah, I can't thank Nick enough for the effort he put into this- really great job!

As for the distortion joke- Good one! And to answer it, yes, it would. The current is exponential with thickness, so it actually matters a lot!
Important Disclaimer!!
*****Any Views or Opinions Expressed are my own personal views, and DO NOT necessarily reflect those of NRC.*****
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby jubal81 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:55 am

This is some really exciting stuff. I've built dozens of dirt boxes and now avoid diode clippers in favor of JFET and MOSFET designs because of the diode noise - especially in the decay. These molecular junctions might bring a whole new life to circuits I've passed on for that reason.
What are the chances hobbyists could get some to play with?
jubal81

interested
interested

Postby ajbergren » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:17 pm

jubal81 wrote:This is some really exciting stuff. I've built dozens of dirt boxes and now avoid diode clippers in favor of JFET and MOSFET designs because of the diode noise - especially in the decay. These molecular junctions might bring a whole new life to circuits I've passed on for that reason.
What are the chances hobbyists could get some to play with?

We're working on making them available. Not sure when that will be, but that it certainly the intention!
Important Disclaimer!!
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:22 pm

... and molecular junctions will rain down like manna from scientific heaven.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby futuresailors » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm

And carbon nanotube guitars!
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:09 am

Nick is uploading another demo with less yak and more shred. Woooo!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Timm Grimm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Please, please, please make this bass friendly.
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby breitnersn » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 am

What?!?!

Congratulations, Ryan. This is probably the most interesting pedal project this year/in decades/ever. You really deserve that!
breitnersn

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 am

Sorry I didn't really understand the scientific jargon. I used to sleep through science class. Or throw stuff at the teacher while he was writing on the blackboard. But I love the concept. Glad to see science is being used for artistic benefit and not for the benefit of the military. Good work guys. :thumb: But I'm sure they will find a use for it to better kill fuckers with.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ryan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 am

Timm Grimm wrote:Please, please, please make this bass friendly.

Hey Tim! Don't you worry buddy, you'll be able to play bass through the production version. It's not gonna have a clean blend but I'm not gonna filter lows either, it'll be full frequency range. I've signed the license agreement and am working on the prototype for an early 2015 release.. I'll put some pics up soon...

vidret wrote:i honestly thought the first post was a funny sci-fi intro to a new Dr Sci pedal, haha holy shit it wasn't!

Haha it does read like that! Truth being wilder than fiction hey...

breitnersn wrote:What?!?!

Congratulations, Ryan. This is probably the most interesting pedal project this year/in decades/ever. You really deserve that!

Aww shucks, thanks Franz!

I've got the prototype box layout ready, just need to make a pcb layout and the first production pedal with a molecular junction will be borned soon! Dr. Adam came up with a great name for it, it shall be called...

The Heisenberg NanoDrive

Double entendre meaning there, one is for the character on Breaking Bad, basically a chemistry tv show. And the other is for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, a fundamental of quantum physics. Cool hey!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:44 am

I'm not sure if that's a good name Ryan.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist