The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Postby Tristan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm

:lol: phanta ^
Awesome story Ryan, very exciting indeed, it's fun to read about something really new and trying to imagine how it'll sound. :)
So funny and cool they went with Dr Scientist, I mean, they couldn't have picked a more awesome builder with a more fitting name really. :D
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm

As a scientist, can I buy one please?
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby sylnau » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 pm

That is awesome works!!!
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 pm

This is fantastic! It's great that you could be part of such a cool project, you deserve it, Ryan!

That white one is so pretty :love: Extra props to Tanya for the super-precise logos!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby cedarskies » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

WOW :!!!:
cedarskies

committed
committed

Postby mikeyx13 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:08 pm

You all should have just seen my wife's face as I was telling her about this amazingly cool tech...priceless! Really helped that a rerun of Big Bang was on at the same time...I love being a geek guitar player. Thank you for sharing Ryan! Now, I need to help the wife understand what I was rambling on about...
mikeyx13

committed
committed

Postby ajbergren » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 am

Okay, everyone, Adam here, thanks for the interest! I am glad that this project has come along to this point, and I am looking forward to the technology getting out into the world!!

I think Ryan has described very well the situation. The only things to update are:

1. It would be best to say that we can control the thickness of the molecular layers in the nanoscale, between 2 and 7 nm (and possibly thicker). We don't really control it at the atomic scale, as 2 nm represents about two molecular lengths (of the type we are using now)- so it is more "molecule" scale.

2. Regarding the range of sounds, it is true that the differences are audible, and depending on how the molecular junction is made, the differences between two different junctions can be more or less obvious. However, it does use different physics relative to the pn junctions that are the basis of diodes, LEDs, etc.

3. The actual size that is important (i.e., what controls the electronic properties of the molecular junctions) is the distance across which electrons travel (and here, this is the 2-7 nm range mentioned above). Thus, the actual cross-sectional area of the devices can be large (2x3 mm or even more), so the devices can easily be seen, but the molecular layers cannot. We call these "large area molecular junctions" and mainly study their electronic properties as the layer identity and thickness varies.

Hope to be able to address questions as they arise! We are working with Nick to get some demos made that show the technology, and I hope this will answer some questions also.
Important Disclaimer!!
*****Any Views or Opinions Expressed are my own personal views, and DO NOT necessarily reflect those of NRC.*****
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby OddKnowledge » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 am

this is AMAZING!!! :!!!: i'm super-excited for you Ryan. and welcome to ILF Dr. Adam!

also, this
Tristan wrote:So funny and cool they went with Dr Scientist, I mean, they couldn't have picked a more awesome builder with a more fitting name really. :D
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome Dr Adam!

What other applications are you looking at apart from the obvious answer of MORE FUZZ!?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Eric! » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:12 pm

I...wha...WHOA MAN.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ajbergren » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:29 pm

goroth wrote:Welcome Dr Adam!

What other applications are you looking at apart from the obvious answer of MORE FUZZ!?

In principle, we want to pursue any application where molecular electronics can provide functions that are difficult or not possible with conventional components. We are always looking for new applications! Sorry the answer is so open-ended, but that is the nature of research. It can take unexpected turns at any moment (kind of like generating harmonics using the non-linearity inherent in quantum tunneling junctions!).
Important Disclaimer!!
*****Any Views or Opinions Expressed are my own personal views, and DO NOT necessarily reflect those of NRC.*****
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby ajbergren » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Also, just stumbled upon this today..... I thought this might be of interest here, as it mentions a far-out theory to explain tunneling barriers:

http://www.nature.com/news/a-quantum-wo ... es-1.16213
Important Disclaimer!!
ajbergren

interested
interested

Postby t-rey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Holy shit that is so awesome I don't know what to say other than this - :!!!:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hollowhero » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Never thought I'd be reading about quantum physics on a pedal forum haha

Can't wait to see where this goes! Dr. Sci is definitely on the cutting edge of pedal tech :!!!:
hollowhero

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Dr. Scientist, Ph.D.
Nice Post-Doc work, Doc

Seriously this is really amazing
darthbatman

committed
committed

Next