The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Moderator: Ryan

The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Postby Ryan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 am

Hey guys! I'm so happy to get to talk about this, I've had to keep it a secret all year and it's been really tough.. it's been such a cool experience and the quantum clipping product being developed is really really interesting and unique and cool sounding.

OK let's start with the background info...

*lights a campfire and sets up chairs*

At the University of Alberta here in Edmonton there's a big building which houses the NRC, the National Research Council of Canada. It's home to several laboratories all doing cutting edge high tech research on behalf of the government. One of these laboratories is called NINT, the National Institute for Nanotechnology. (Nanotechnology is working with materials on an atomic or molecular scale, the tiniest building blocks of matter and energy.)

The team of chemists/physicists at NINT have been working on a new kind of molecular diode for the last several years, a diode that's formed by a single atomic layer of a conductor on a substrate. Called a molecular junction, it has special properties over a regular diode. They have cutting edge applications in special video displays, sensors, high frequency info.. nanotech kinda stuff. But the lead researcher involved, Dr. Adam Bergren, is also a guitar player and realized that the special properties of these molecular junctions, such as their smother/more gradual onset of clipping, would also benefit a guitar signal. To really show the effectiveness of the molecular junctions they decided they'd need a guitar pedal prototype. And part of the NRC's mandate is to support local business whenever it can, so Adam did a Canadian guitar pedal maker search and discovered that Dr. Sci was also in Edmonton!

So back in October of 2013 Adam contacted me to see if I would have any interest in learning more about the junctions and their future. Small aside here but I am a man of science, I believe in the Scientific Method, and to be contacted by a laboratory of the NRC just completely blew me away. I'm still getting over the shock of that first email! As an EET, there's maybe no cooler gig than to make prototypes for a laboratory, it's a dream come true really for a science/physics kinda guy.

Ok, so they need a prototype! I spent a bit of time setting up a breadboard with some simple circuits that could show the molecular junctions off nicely. We bounced around some ideas and settled on this:
NINT prototype bread-board.JPG

This is the bread-board version of the final prototype, it's a circuit that shows off the molecular junctions through the most popular and common amplifying devices: a MOSFET, an NPN transistor, and an op amp. Each device is a single gain stage and they go from high to low, the FET is a dirty boost, the NPN is a medium gain fuzz, and the op amp is a high gain distortion. Each gain stage has a gain control and then there's an overall treble control and a master volume. It's buffered in and out so it's not as susceptible to external variations and performs consistently.

For each gain stage there's a rotary switch that selects between 2 junctions, silicon diodes, or no diodes, so the junctions can be quickly compared to other popular diodes or no diodes, all socketed for experimentation. There's LED lights for the gain stages and the clipping stages so one can look at the circuit quickly and tell how it's set.

This is the mockup I proposed for the build:
NINT prototype mock-up.JPG

The NINT team liked the prototype circuit and commissioned us to make 4 of them. I designed a custom pcb for it that looks like this:
QNMTCP bare pcb (Large).JPG

And this is what it looks like built:
QNMTCP proto build inside (Large).JPG

See the big black SIM card holders at the bottom right of the pcb? That's where the molecular junctions are, there's 2 junctions on each SIM and 1 junction is like a back-to-back pair of regular diodes.

These are the finished builds:
DSC02363 (Large).JPG

The finished protos had to have really accurate logos for all the organizations involved and this was Tanya's contribution to the project, this was a really tough job to do so small in vinyl:
DSC02354 (Large).JPG

DSC02356 (Large).JPG

And here's one lit up:
NINT Proto cover (Large).jpg

So the big question, how do they sound? Well, you guys know I'm not one for using a lot of terms like 'warm overdrive' or 'natural tube breakup' or 'transparent overdrive', I'm not really that guy.. but the molecular junctions have an unarguably noticeably different sound than typical diodes. First thing you'll notice is they keep the same level regardless of the saturation, they don't drop in volume. And then you'll notice that they really do sound natural and pleasant, smooth and warm, while also having an interesting character. They actually can make me use words like that! The 1N4148 diodes so commonly used in so many overdrives through the years sound very harsh, brittle, thin, and sizzley compared to the molecular junctions. I think the junctions have a unique quality to their sound too, they're really quite interesting.

What's so powerful about them as well is the fact that they can be tuned to emphasize or de-emphasize a number of characteristics depending on what materials are used for their conductive layer and substrate. Like they can be very mildly saturating or quite aggressive sounding. They can also sound different too by accenting or decreasing certain frequencies.

So what's the future of molecular junctions? Well that's in the works right now too! First they need to be manufactured in a smaller package. From there the plan is for Dr. Scientist to hopefully get the first license in place and do the first production run. I don't know when that will be, I don't know what that pedal will be like, and I don't know how much it will cost.. but we're working on all that and I'm beyond excited about it. Beyond that, the goal will be to be able to license these junctions to everybody and builders will be able to have proprietary junctions in their circuits, sounds available only to them. These are big plans for NINT and the NRC and we'll have to see how all that goes, I don't really know any more than you guys now.

I'm hoping that the esteemed Dr. Adam will chime in with his thoughts and correct all the mistakes I've made in describing his work. The particulars of quantum mechanics can be hard to describe well.. we all watch Big Bang Theory and know about Schrodinger's cat and the ol' double slit experiment.. but the real workings of these junctions and the quantum tunneling involved will be way better explained by a pro.

So fire away if you have any questions and I'll answer what I can and ask Dr. Adam for help when I can't! *smile*

And thank you so much to Adam, NINT, and the NRC. Working on this project was a dream come true for me and truly an honour and a privilege.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The NINT Molecular Clipping Overdrive Prototype

Postby Joe Gress » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 am

Those are so fucking cool looking!

Is there a bit of difference between all the combinations of the selectors? Or is it a very subtle thing?
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby John » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 am

Fuckin' guy! So does each one run into the next? Can you turn each one off or??? I'm a little confused by the controls but I almost get it.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 am

What an awesome scientific story.

Thank you, Ryan, and congratulations, you are truly a Dr. Scientist of quantum sonic mixology.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ryan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 am

Joe Gress wrote:Those are so fucking cool looking!

Is there a bit of difference between all the combinations of the selectors? Or is it a very subtle thing?

Thanks! Yep, there's a big difference in all the different settings.. all the gain stages sound very different and have different levels of gain/saturation, and then the junctions can sound very different. You can have one junction that's very saturated and one that's barely saturated, plus they sound quite different compared to the silicon diodes and compared to no diodes. That was the goal though, to show how different all the junctions can sound with the different gain stages and I think it's quite versatile sounding.

The proto isn't really intended to be a guitar pedal for sale though, it's more intended to demonstrate the nature of the junctions vs other diodes in the different amp topologies.. and it's all socketed so the NINT guys can swap in and out different gain devices and different junctions and diodes. Plus it's intended to be shipped around to other builders for them to experiment with as well.

John wrote:Fuckin' guy! So does each one run into the next? Can you turn each one off or??? I'm a little confused by the controls but I almost get it.

I like that idea! But no, they're all separate and independent and you can only use one gain stage at a time. So you first choose if you want to use the FET, the transistor, or the op amp. Then you choose if you want junction A, junction B, silicon diodes, or no diodes. Then you adjust the treble and volume.

Chankgeez wrote:What an awesome scientific story.

Thank you, Ryan, and congratulations, you are truly a Dr. Scientist of quantum sonic mixology.

Aww thanks Jason!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:18 am

Wow, dude, congratulations! This looks awfully awesome!

But you did not address some important questions:
If you clip on a molecular level, won't the tone fairies get angry?
What dressing did you use for the crystal lettuce?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 am

The most important question: Does it Slayer?

Also,

Posted in the absence of clips of Ryan tuned to B and running this hunk of awesomeness through a Mesa.

PS Love the visuals with the white and the pale blue LEDs :thumb:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby jrmy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 am

Wow, Ryan - that is seriously so cool! I'm really looking forward to seeing / hearing how this technology progresses, and super duper-psyched that you and Tanya got to be a part of this. Dr Scientist + science for the win!

Yeah, it would be really cool if Dr. Adam checks in here, for sure. I'd be interested in hearing more about the "tunable" nature of these junctions, and how they could be used to create even more unique forms of distortion.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day that these amazing pieces of tech get applied to some crazy piece of kit... Molecular Clipping PLL, anyone?
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 am

This is so awesome. Like, still trying to process awesome.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am

This is incredible! Technological breakthrough ftw. Would love to hear some clips. Congratulations on being the first builder to try this out.

However, as a metaphysicist I have to ask: Will these pedlols gain sentience and control the world?
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Sparrow » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

super happy for you Ryan! such a cool story!!
Hurrah for science, woo!
can't wait to hear/see more about this.
they look stunning!

Dr. Scientist needs a Saturday Morning cartoon.
in where .. scientific doodads and pedalz and stuff .. are used for uncovering the mysteries of the Universe :!!!:

:) :thumb:
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby phantasmagorovich » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Eivind August wrote:Will these pedlols gain sentience and control the world?

They sure rule my world already!
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm

:lol: phanta ^
Awesome story Ryan, very exciting indeed, it's fun to read about something really new and trying to imagine how it'll sound. :)
So funny and cool they went with Dr Scientist, I mean, they couldn't have picked a more awesome builder with a more fitting name really. :D
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm

As a scientist, can I buy one please?
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby sylnau » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 pm

That is awesome works!!!
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Dr. Scientist