Some questions about The Elements...

Moderator: Ryan

Re: Some questions about The Elements...

Postby goroth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Tsetse wrote: Keep up the great work, Ryan (and maybe design a flange in the future?)! ;)

Yes!

The flange settings on the Cosmi aren't enough (not in that they suck, more in that I want more), and the digital flanger on the BQ is the amongst the best I've heard - you've got a good ear for flange Mr Clarke. You can maybe fit it in to the build schedule second quarter 2017...
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby sylnau » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:34 pm

goroth wrote:
Tsetse wrote: Keep up the great work, Ryan (and maybe design a flange in the future?)! ;)

Yes!

Yes!
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:29 am

yeah .... but after the phaser ....... thanks!
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:52 am

Good point.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Tsetse » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Late to the party once again, sorry about that...
goroth wrote:

Yes!

The flange settings on the Cosmi aren't enough (not in that they suck, more in that I want more), and the digital flanger on the BQ is the amongst the best I've heard - you've got a good ear for flange Mr Clarke. You can maybe fit it in to the build schedule second quarter 2017...

I'm serious about the possibility of a Dr. Scientist flanger... I really want one :drool:

Not to step on Doctor X's toes about the phaser (which I would also be interested in), but here goes in terms of arguments:

Most of the (really) good flangers on the market are their own thing, so to speak... just to give two examples off the top of my head: the ADA flanger (reissue) is one example, the Hartman Deluxe Electric Mistress clone is another - they deliver fine sounds and afaik, there's nothing "wrong" about them. However, there are so many different "voices" of flanging on the market that I find it hard to decide on one for my board because they're somehow all "limited" in some ways and / or awkward to use (huge enclosures, strange power supplies etc).
Seeing just how good and versatile pedals like the Elements, Tremolessence and Cosmichorus are, I'd really love to see Ryan's take on a dedicated flanger pedal.
Versatility (to me at least) would be key here, not to mention the other benefits I associate with (my) Dr Scientist pedals: Loads of features and options but a very small
footprint, standard 9V power supply, great build quality, rugged, indiscriminate about where they're placed in a signal chain, beautiful to look at.
Did I mention that a good flanger is the only dedicated type of modulation that I really need for what I do musically? ;)
I'd imagine something with features like Through Zero Flange, the ability to produce chorus-y sounds (I normally prefer chorus coming from a flanger pedal
to a dedicated chorus pedal, but that's just me) etc.

On top of that (and imho, of course), there's not exactly a huge amount of really good, easy to use (in terms of pedal board real estate / power supply)
and really versatile flanger pedals on the market.

Cheers,
Tsetse
Tsetse

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:45 am

Tsetse wrote:Thank you, Ryan!

The honeymoon is NOT over, because the possibilities are pretty much endless with this pedal - there is an incredible number of great sounds in there and
I'm pretty sure I haven't found half of them yet! ;) To sum it up, there really isn't a valid reason not to own one of these pedals.

I have a distinct feeling that the Elements will accompany me for a good long while, it's just so flexible that I think it can be made to work with any number
of guitars, amps and music styles.

Both the Tremolessence and the Elements are pretty much everything I could ask for. Keep up the great work, Ryan (and maybe design a flange in the future?)! ;)

Aww that's awesome to read, thank you very much!

I love flangers too.. and phasers for sure! I have this growing feeling and idea that next year.. maybe 2016 actually.. the next round of Cosmichorus will probably become a flanger too. A mono chorus/flanger with tap tempo and a better hold system.. but there's much programming to learn first. (still analog bbd based but micro based for the oscillator/tap/hold.) Way down the road though!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Man, I dunno if i have room for three cosmis Ryan...
At least I've got a year or two to work out how to reshuffle the board. :hug:

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Tsetse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:38 am

That's great news, Ryan!

A mono chorus/flanger with tap tempo and a better hold system.. but there's much programming to learn first. (still analog bbd based but micro based for the oscillator/tap/hold.)

Sounds just about perfect to me! Especially the parts about bbd build and the hold mode - the hold mode on the Tremolessence is just fantastic and I'm a sucker for analog modulation and bbd circuits! I'd buy this the moment it becomes available and if it's going to be "included" in the Cosmichorus, that's even better!
Tsetse

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby t-rey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Ryan wrote:
Tsetse wrote:Thank you, Ryan!

The honeymoon is NOT over, because the possibilities are pretty much endless with this pedal - there is an incredible number of great sounds in there and
I'm pretty sure I haven't found half of them yet! ;) To sum it up, there really isn't a valid reason not to own one of these pedals.

I have a distinct feeling that the Elements will accompany me for a good long while, it's just so flexible that I think it can be made to work with any number
of guitars, amps and music styles.

Both the Tremolessence and the Elements are pretty much everything I could ask for. Keep up the great work, Ryan (and maybe design a flange in the future?)! ;)

Aww that's awesome to read, thank you very much!

I love flangers too.. and phasers for sure! I have this growing feeling and idea that next year.. maybe 2016 actually.. the next round of Cosmichorus will probably become a flanger too. A mono chorus/flanger with tap tempo and a better hold system.. but there's much programming to learn first. (still analog bbd based but micro based for the oscillator/tap/hold.) Way down the road though!

Dammit, Ryan. I've always said that nothing could make me give up my vinyl Green Galaxy v2 Cosmi, and now you go and make a liar out of me :lol:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to Dr. Scientist