The BitQuest Pre-Order Is OVAH! THANK YOU GUYS!

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The BitQuest Pre-Order! Box choices in first post!

Postby watchyourscrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:06 am

i just have a guitar and practice amp at home right now so i'm waiting to take a pic with my pink ILFDD, but this thing is INSANE

spent an hour sitting cross-legged on the living room floor. last patch with the crazy CTRL 0 is worth the cost as someone else mentioned. brain is still recovering from the scrambling it got yesterday. setting the time of the delay to max and running the modulation high can get a usable..."bubble" sound? will try and get a recording today
watchyourscrew

involved
involved

Postby Gutmann » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

I have it in myhands!!! :!!!:

What a great sounding unit, ryan. Can't turn off the dirty adventure, I like dirty adventures and this one is addictive...
With the pitch octave down :drool:

Now the 8 month old boy is sleeping next to my amps, I have to wait... or play the bitquest lullaby...
Gutmann

involved
involved

Postby breitnersn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Gutmann wrote:I like dirty adventures

TWSS
breitnersn

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:34 pm

colin wrote:The coolest thing about the BitQuest in my mind is the fact that Ryan made this as just one pedal. I'm sure that LOTS of other builders would have spun this out into a bunch of separate pedals

Well for me it's kinda because I'm a cottage industry.. I don't want any employees so I can only do so much work. I can't physically make 8 pedals for the BitQuest, just one! *smile* Plus I get a kick out of putting as much into a pedal as possible.. *Sparks voice* Right to the rim, baby.

Gigahearts_FX wrote:
goroth wrote:Sorry Ian, I was joking.

- I've already got two Elements on my gig board :)

I thought I put a simly face too, I was joking also :facepalm: :thumb:

I totally got that you both were kidding! *ha*

Tompski wrote:I am at work.... but I just got a call from home saying there is a parcel from Canada that just got delivered! I think I should be allowed the rest of Friday off! you guys say it's alright? yes?

Take the week, Tom! Hope you're having fun with it!

Sparrow wrote:Clean Ring Mod.

Love it, thanks Josh!

mikeyx13 wrote:Ryan, The BitQuest is amazing! Two weeks in now and I am finding so many usable sounds out of it, my fingers are sore and the family misses me, it is so worth it.

Thanks Michael!

Gigahearts_FX wrote:Oh Lord. BitQuest. Seriously.
Some amazing sounds in here. Stuff I never expected to hear at all.

This sums up my first 30 minutes.
- My girlfriend described the reverb as "beautiful" after about the 3rd note straight out the box.
- I found a really really great "drifting" modulated delay. That thing can go super crazy too, its reminding me of the Panda Particle I just picked up a lot (see pic below for settings)
- The ring mod can do an awesome tremolo, and the reverb on this patch is great too.
- Filters are smooth! Notch sounds lovely, like an envlope phaser on some settings
- The Flanger does some really nice sounds. Moreso to me than all the other sounds here, you definitely hear/tell its digital, which is the only drawback I spose.
- I'll be honest I dont really love the distortion; its really loud and obnoxious, but that'll be a major pro for a lot of guys here. I knew up front I wasnt gonna love that side of the pedal though.

Also in the box was a beaut tshirt! and many plectrums! and a FrazzDazzler!
I really dig the voicing of the FrazzDazzler. Sustain on this thing is ridiculous.

Awesome NPD!

Awesome Ian! Thanks for the review, glad to hear you're liking it! I'm glad you put a picture of that delay setting, it's really cool sounding and I didn't show it in my demo video. There's some interesting subtleties at the bottom of CTRL0 on that patch.

One little change I think I'll make for the store release is I'll lower the level of the distorted side.. it's crazy loud compared to the clean side... but you guys know me, I'm a punk.. I'm loud and obnoxious! *pushes over empty pop can*

Bellyheart wrote:Awesome pedal, great job!

Booyes! Thanks Jon!

goroth wrote:I love the distortion. It's loud and obnoxious!
Honestly I think that was the way to go with this pedal as you have the Elements (which can do anything but in my case is doing OD and Chunka-chunka Morbid Angel distortion) and the Frazz is just a super unique fuzz, as you pointed out. So the digital distortion doesn't really overlap with either of them, which is cool. I dunno if I would have wanted "the Elements + 8 effects" - it'd make the Elements redundant.

Thanks Matt! Remember way back I had been thinking of making the distortion as Elementsy as possible but upon chatting we concluded it should be different.. I think it was the right conclusion too, 3 very different dirt pedals with not really any overlaps.

Gigahearts_FX wrote:Back on topic, I agree the fuzz on the bitquest is unique alongside the frazz and elements so its a success in that respect. Im sure 99% of people here will dig it hard

Thanks Ian, that's all I can hope for with any dirt pedal really.. I make it sound great to my ears and hope it goes over well. And it doesn't always haha, I've had more than one person return an Elements to me as they just did not think it sounded good.. but mostly people do so it's cool. I know the digital distortion is an extra-stretch too..buuuuut...I think it sounds awesome! *punk in drublic*

jwar wrote:My first 30 minutes.

-holy crap it came!
-holy crap I'm playing it!
-holy crap I'm reading the manual!
-holy crap! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I will say this. I do like it better without the distortion, but with the distortion it's almost like a completely different pedal. This is the coolest multi pedal ever! This plus The Elements, plus ILFDD, plus Cosmi v.3=heaven!

UGH! So happy!

Thanks Adam! Haha reading another manual hey, you're making a habit of that lately! Thanks again, couldn't have done it without you and it's always such a pleasure working with you and Jeff!

wfs1234 wrote:I love the distortion on it sooooo much, I've been running the wolf computer into it and it's glorious! My favorite thing so far is to use the filter setting to scoop out the mids and then have the wolf computer push the mids using the blend control. It's so nice and thick, with tons of weird digital sounding artifacts. The ringmod setting is pure pain in the best possible way in the dirt setting, and so haunting with that reverb in the clean setting. Really everything is soooooo well thought out. It's endlessly delightful!

So far my only complaint is there aren't presets and the distortion's not footswitcheable. Considering what this boundlessly beastly pedal can do, those are pretty small complaints.

What a nice read, thanks Willy! Awesome to hear you're digging it! You know, if a person was smart enough with micro-programming they could pull off what you suggest and it sure would be cool... gimme a few years to learn that stuff, interfacing a micro with a Spin is definitely doable and it can make for a huge number of patches and saved pot positions. *I think*

goroth wrote:I honestly think Ryan should consider a BitEpic with two BQs in one enclosure, foot switchable to run series or parallel. And/or putting a se in ctrl1 and 2 on and making them switchable.

Love this pedal!

So you wanna BitQuest your BitQuest, dawg? I like it..EpicQuest!

Forrrest wrote:there's too many good sounds on here. I'm going to need a 2nd one.

that gain is awesome! what a monster.

Right on, thanks Kevin! And happy belated birthday!

watchyourscrew wrote:i just have a guitar and practice amp at home right now so i'm waiting to take a pic with my pink ILFDD, but this thing is INSANE

spent an hour sitting cross-legged on the living room floor. last patch with the crazy CTRL 0 is worth the cost as someone else mentioned. brain is still recovering from the scrambling it got yesterday. setting the time of the delay to max and running the modulation high can get a usable..."bubble" sound? will try and get a recording today

Awesome Sam, glad you're enjoying it! Sitting on the floor in front of your amp having fun with weird sounds is so exactly the vibe of this pedal, that rules. Love to hear that delay sound you're talking of.. I found a really weird Predator click delay sound that I used in the demo, I love weird delay sounds.

Gutmann wrote:I have it in myhands!!! :!!!:

What a great sounding unit, ryan. Can't turn off the dirty adventure, I like dirty adventures and this one is addictive...
With the pitch octave down :drool:

Now the 8 month old boy is sleeping next to my amps, I have to wait... or play the bitquest lullaby...

Fantastic, Uli, I'm so glad you finally get to play it! You had the toughest quest for sure to actually get the pedal, I'm sorry it was such a pain for you. Awesome to hear it was worth the wait, thank you again!

Well shucks, is this the longest post ever or what? Thanks again for all the comments guys, I'm really happy you're having fun with the pedal!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Oh my god. What is the matter with me? Why did I not see this before today?

What is the deposit? At this point, will I need to put the whole 250 down?

Also, did you have any graphics in mind for the retail version? You should make each effect an element if it will fit. Just a little symbol to represent each thing? And instead if clean and dirty it could be white magic and black magic. Maybe the control names could be stats! Ctrl 0-Dex Ctrl 1-Wis Ctrl 2-Agi Tone-Str Volume should probably be volume still. Mix could be Int.

I could go on. I just realized I typed all that. Man. Too excited.

I hope this was as fun for you as it was for me.

I'll design this for you. And then buy it from you.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PetZounds » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 am

My heart says yes, but my bank account says no. :no:
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 am

i found a really cool setting on the Clean Pitch Shift Quest!!
i started out playing with some fuzz into it .. and then i went chill,and set the WET reverb after it.
it sounds amazing like that :thumb:
ctrl 1 - 1 o'clock
ctrl 2 - cranked to the right ( clockwise )
tone - 1 o'clock
ctrl 0 - cranked to the left
volume - 2 o'clock
mix - 10 o'clock
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby breitnersn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:06 am

This is a distorted filter setting I really dig.

No expression pedal action here. Just sounds gloriuos as it is.
breitnersn

committed
committed

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 pm

This pedal is so ridiculously fantastic! It's amazing as a low/mid-gain distortion. Great stacked with The Elements for high gain stuff. There's also some cool almost normal fuzz available from the bitcrusher in clean mode if you only adjust the bit depth (I think?).

IMG_8026.jpg
IMG_8026.jpg (327.49 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

A very cool combo!

Some details:
IMG_8025.JPG
IMG_8025.JPG (271.26 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

IMG_8024.jpg
IMG_8024.jpg (360.29 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm

neonblack wrote:Oh my god. What is the matter with me? Why did I not see this before today?

What is the deposit? At this point, will I need to put the whole 250 down?

Also, did you have any graphics in mind for the retail version? You should make each effect an element if it will fit. Just a little symbol to represent each thing? And instead if clean and dirty it could be white magic and black magic. Maybe the control names could be stats! Ctrl 0-Dex Ctrl 1-Wis Ctrl 2-Agi Tone-Str Volume should probably be volume still. Mix could be Int.

I could go on. I just realized I typed all that. Man. Too excited.

I hope this was as fun for you as it was for me.

I'll design this for you. And then buy it from you.

Thanks for checking it out! Yessir, the retail version is sorted out and it's wildly cool.. it could be awhile though, it might have to be released after we get through our house/shop move to BC.

I love the idea of the control names being stats.. if you look at the pcb picture, you can see where each of the 6 pots is on the pcb and right by each of them is a stat name.. it goes like this:

Mix - Dex
Vol - Str
Tone - Int (yknow, brightness?)
CTRL0/Gain - Cha (seewhatimean, cause we love fuzz?)
CTRL1 - Wis
CTRL2 - Con

Great minds, hey buddy! *big smile*

PetZounds wrote:My heart says yes, but my bank account says no. :no:

My heart thanks you for having a look and says don't worry, there'll be blems and birthday discounts on the production ones soon!

Sparrow wrote:i found a really cool setting on the Clean Pitch Shift Quest!!
i started out playing with some fuzz into it .. and then i went chill,and set the WET reverb after it.
it sounds amazing like that :thumb:
ctrl 1 - 1 o'clock
ctrl 2 - cranked to the right ( clockwise )
tone - 1 o'clock
ctrl 0 - cranked to the left
volume - 2 o'clock
mix - 10 o'clock

Awesome Josh, thanks for posting it!

breitnersn wrote:This is a distorted filter setting I really dig

No expression pedal action here. Just sounds gloriuos as it is.

Love this too, awesome sound!

Bartimaeus wrote:This pedal is so ridiculously fantastic! It's amazing as a low/mid-gain distortion. Great stacked with The Elements for high gain stuff. There's also some cool almost normal fuzz available from the bitcrusher in clean mode if you only adjust the bit depth (I think?).

Awesome pics, thanks David! I really like the fuzz in the bitcrushings too, that's probably my favourite part of the whole bitcrusher sound, that fuzz sound of removed bits.. I like how it's kinda gated too.

I'm building a few more BQs this weekend, I think we're down to maybe 15ish acid etched boxes left. Thanks again everybody!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:36 pm

A bit late to the party but I just sent my payment to Ryan :joy:
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby raulduke » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Me too.

Oh and hi, I'm new to these parts.

Can't wait to try my first dr scientist (I fear there may be many more)!
raulduke

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:49 pm

raulduke wrote:Me too.

Awesome way to start!!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:13 pm

raulduke wrote:Me too.

Good on you Steve

Welcome to the dark side
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby elevenstrings » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Ryan wrote:Yessir, the retail version is sorted out and it's wildly cool.. it could be awhile though, it might have to be released after we get through our house/shop move

Bummer. Guess I'll keep waiting.
elevenstrings

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist