Postby excane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 am

Here's a little stacking with the Elements and Frazz

excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Re: Frazzy Dazzler May 2012

Postby sylnau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Woah :rock:
I knew you would do the heavy stuff better than me!
I really need to work on my playing (but I prefer to turn knob, lol).

Very good demo!! What are you using for recording the demo?

You rock. :animal:

Never saw that green finish with the sotf switch system... good looking. :thumb:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby excane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 pm

That's my ESP Horizon into a clean Blackstar Artisan 100. My Showman is currently being checked out, otherwise I would have used that.
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby sylnau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Cool, my setup is not for that kind of music... that's why it sound so different.
My demo was recorded with a Bogner Duende (Fender Tweed style) with a PRS CE-22.
Regular tuning (440).
Recorded with an iPhone 3.

The Frazz and Elements sound great in both setup... very versatile pedals.

excane wrote:Thanks :hug:

That's my ESP Horizon into a clean Blackstar Artisan 100. My Showman is currently being checked out, otherwise I would have used that.

I mean you recording equipments?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby excane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Woopsie....

I mic the cab with an SM57 then into a Mackie mixer.
From the mixer it goes directly into the line-in on the Zoom Q3HD camera.

Sometimes I'll use 2 mic's (SM57 and Sennheiser)

It's amazing how different setups can sound. I was experimenting with my Mesa Nomad, and it's just a world of difference from my Blackstar or Showman.
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby Ryan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:13 pm

sylnau wrote:Here it is Ryan:

Totally awesome, Syl! You indulged your metal side for me, I'm deeply moved! You kicked butt with it too buddy, way to go!

excane wrote:Here's a little stacking with the Elements and Frazz

Very crushing and ripping, Jeff, very nice! Your demos show the pedals most like how I hear them here, through a clean 4x12 with a low tuned guitar, that's the most recognizable sound of them to me.

I love hearing all the different sounds though, it's awesome to hear the pedal through Syl's and Jeff's rigs, they're super different and it's a totally different experience.. very cool.

Thanks a million for doing those videos, you guys rule!

Jeff's green Frazz is a one of a kind, made right at the end of the vinyl finishes.

Also Jeff, I sure wish I had the Q3HD instead of the normal Q3.. there's no line in on it and that's a really great feature, I wish I could use mine like that!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Ryan wrote:

Totally awesome, Syl! You indulged your metal side for me, I'm deeply moved! You kicked butt with it too buddy, way to go!

Thanks, I still have a bit of old school metal in my blood (Voivod, Prong,...)

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby excane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Ryan wrote:

excane wrote:Here's a little stacking with the Elements and Frazz

Very crushing and ripping, Jeff, very nice! Your demos show the pedals most like how I hear them here, through a clean 4x12 with a low tuned guitar, that's the most recognizable sound of them to me.

I love hearing all the different sounds though, it's awesome to hear the pedal through Syl's and Jeff's rigs, they're super different and it's a totally different experience.. very cool.

Thanks a million for doing those videos, you guys rule!

Jeff's green Frazz is a one of a kind, made right at the end of the vinyl finishes.

Also Jeff, I sure wish I had the Q3HD instead of the normal Q3.. there's no line in on it and that's a really great feature, I wish I could use mine like that!

Anytime Ryan! :thumb:

Yeah, that's the main reason I got the Q3HD. I can go right from the mixer to the camera. Only thing though (as you can see)...... it SUUUCKS in low light.

It really just looks the best if you're walking outside on a sunny day....hmmmmm....

*runs to set up recording gear on front lawn* :lol:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby night-butterfly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi all! First post here!

I recently discovered Dr Scientist pedals on a friend's gear and now I'm in need of them!
After months on other pedals forum, this has lead me here.

Just wanted to say to Ryan that I absolutely love the RRR and the element, and I'll buy them as soon as my piggy bank will allow. I tried lots of reverbs and also built some myself but the RRR is far beyond them. :thumb:

I've just seen gutshots of your fuzz on this topic, and I can tell this is pure art. Not only your circuits sounds awesome, they look cool too! I'm used of seeing and building stuff with components in an anarchic puzzle. I know this is 4 layer pcbs but man! How do you that? I'm millions miles away from designing such beautiful things...
One last question, for your silent switching, do you use the same momentary switch/programmed chip as the ones made by Jack Deville?

Thanks a lot

Julien
night-butterfly

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby excane » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Welcome to the darkside! :hello:

:ilf:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby sylnau » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Yeap, welcome to ILF.
Ryan is a Doctor and a Scientist... he is using magic to build his pedal.
Awesome stuff.
Take a look at the new Cosmichorus... another thread on the same forum.

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:26 pm

excane wrote:Yeah, that's the main reason I got the Q3HD. I can go right from the mixer to the camera. Only thing though (as you can see)...... it SUUUCKS in low light.

My Q3 sucks in low light too.. geez that line in is a smart handy feature! I'm trying to figure out a recording setup using the ipad too but I'm not sure what to do with it to be able to use a mic or two with it...

night-butterfly wrote:I've just seen gutshots of your fuzz on this topic, and I can tell this is pure art. Not only your circuits sounds awesome, they look cool too! I'm used of seeing and building stuff with components in an anarchic puzzle. I know this is 4 layer pcbs but man! How do you that? I'm millions miles away from designing such beautiful things...
One last question, for your silent switching, do you use the same momentary switch/programmed chip as the ones made by Jack Deville?

Hey Julien, welcome to ILF and thank you very much!

4 layer pcb sounds fancy and high tech but it's actually much easier to design a layout using that style of board as it gives you internal planes for your power and ground connections so you don't have to run any traces. That's how I get away with my layout style of rows or be able to cram a ton of components onto a board, it's thanks to the 4 layer pcb saving me a ton of space.

My silent switching is the same idea as Jack's, same style, but we're using different families of micro controllers and different relay styles. I wrote my own code for it but it took me many months and many many pushes from my pal Austin, the genius who makes the Goatkeeper. I'm not really a code guy and he helped me bigtime.

Holler at me anytime if you have questions about layout design etc and thanks again, much appreciated!

And Syl's right... a little magic never hurts. I covered the Elements pcb in alchemical symbols so Da Vinci and Newton would help me...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Waterpilot » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:32 am

sylnau wrote:Yeap, welcome to ILF.
Ryan is a Doctor and a Scientist... he is using magic to build his pedal.
Awesome stuff.
Take a look at the new Cosmichorus... another thread on the same forum.

Agreed. MAGIC!
Waterpilot

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 pm

good googily i love me some Sylnau and 'Caner vids. OOF. my sloppiness on the Frazzy -

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sylnau » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Yummy Yummy Yummy Behndy!

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist