· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Special effects. <fuzzhugger.com> <FB> <Tw> <IG>
Post a reply

NPD: Algal Bloom and Doom Bloom

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:48 am

I just joined the Fuzzhugger club with an Algal Bloom and Doom Bloom.

The Algal Bloom is a fuzz I've always wanted to try but just never pulled the trigger. I found a good deal on one a few weeks ago and then I found out about the Doom Bloom and Tom helped me get one. They both sound fantastic and now I'm trying to decide which one stays on my live board. The DB definitely has the low-end evil thing going, but the Algal has a more energetic feel and can be a little less buzzy and less gated.

I bought these to replace my Pharaoh. I love the Pharaoh, but I wanted a little more top-end and more bite. The Blooms definitely get me there.

Re: NPD: Algal Bloom and Doom Bloom

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Ah the Algal sisters... "good sister, bad sister" of Hole came to mind

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Well now obviously you have to make a recording comparing the two.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Algal Bloom (v1, v2 or the Algal Bloom and Blend)
-are noisy when you're not playing?
-give any problems when placed after a wah? If yes, solveable with a buffer in between?
Thanks!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Well done deadlands! :thumb:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:10 am

Philippe Elskens wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Algal Bloom (v1, v2 or the Algal Bloom and Blend)

Nope. Dead quiet. At least my V1 is.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Philippe Elskens wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Algal Bloom (v1, v2 or the Algal Bloom and Blend)
-give any problems when placed after a wah? If yes, solveable with a buffer in between?
Thanks!

My V1 is very quiet too, I have happily used it after a wah at stage volumes with no noise issues.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks!

Wah is cool. The algal can sound good with a buffer in front but you get a lot more range out of it having unbuffered pedals in front of it.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks!
Which guitars/amps have you guys tried with the Algal Bloom (which version of the pedal)? Better/worse results with some combinations?
I have a Strat, a Guild Capri (wich I will probably not use with fuzz) and a d'Angelico EX-DC plugged into a Princeton Reverb or a Vox AC15.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:28 am

Could you eleborate a little on the pharoah vs doom bloom. I just got a doom bloom but am still considering a muff based pedal just cause. Redundant?
Post a reply