Doom Bloom vs Pharaoh vs Pickle

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Doom Bloom vs Pharaoh vs Pickle

Postby Ferglehson » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 pm

First time trying to do a pedal demo, let me know what I screwed up. Trying to decide if I wanted to buy a Doom Bloom, it didn't help that there was really nothing online as far as clips go. Tom's descriptions are fantastic, but I hope this can help someone out in the future regardless!

This was really just supposed to be between the Doom and the Pharaoh, but thought it wouldn't hurt to throw in the Pickle. Doom Bloom is the definite more aggressive sounding of them, it sounds evil as hell. The Pharaoh does have a certain appealing mojo though, it's just voiced very well. The two pedals complement each other, and stack amazingly. The Pickle is certainly meh to my ears these days. Lots of sounds from it, but most of them thin and a bit too notched for my liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oNS3K6FpRg
Ferglehson

interested
interested

Re: Doom Bloom vs Pharaoh vs Pickle

Postby Rob Fossil » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:10 am

Fixed that for you. (To imbed youtube links, remove the "s" from the https://) Nice demo :thumb:
Good B/S/T dealings with: univalve, DannDubbleEwe, Shish, ThePastRecedes, GiAnt_ROboT, chutneyfarmer, Muse FTW, robapov, skullservant, MaxMaps, psychedelicrelic, guitarslinger21, space6oy, theshoegazer, bongoben, osbornkt
Rob Fossil

experienced
experienced

Postby deadlands » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:38 am

Definitely the best Doom Bloom demo. I like how you did the demo, really showed the capabilities of each pedal. Really surprised me how uninspiring the Swollen Pickle sounds.

I have a Doom Bloom, an Algal Bloom and a Pharaoh. I think I might do a similar style video to show the difference between the Algal and the Doom.
deadlands

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ferglehson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I bought the Pickle years ago as a return to a Muff. I was initially happy, but there 's a lot that it doesn't do well. Palm mutes sound terrible on any setting, and it's just generally thin and lacking dimension unless you stay on the lower strings.
Ferglehson

interested
interested

Postby benjuro » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 am

deadlands wrote:Definitely the best Doom Bloom demo.

:thumb:

Fergiehson, what guitar and amp did you use to record this?
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ferglehson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am

Vox Valetronix 100w head (Boutique Clean model) into a 2x12 loaded with an Eminence Swamp Thang and Governor (mic'd the Swamp Thang).

First two clips were a Dean MLX with EMG 85, and last two were an Ibanez AXS32 with a DiMarzio Norton.

I wanted to show off both the active and passive pickups because they do seem to respond very differently. The EMGs sound a lot cleaner, even though they do get a more of the higher gain compression thing going. Bass is much tighter. On my Ibanez with passive pickups, there's a lot more resonant low end, and the response is just a lot more organic and lively in general.
Ferglehson

interested
interested

Postby Rabelais » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 pm

The Doom Bloom is wicked!. Does it have as much sustain as the Algal Bloom?.
Rabelais

interested
interested

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Doom Bloom is sweet, Pharoah is Ok, Pickle is lame
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby magiclawnchair » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Rabelais wrote:The Doom Bloom is wicked!. Does it have as much sustain as the Algal Bloom?.

Yes, yes it does! :thumb:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby FuzzHugger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:57 am

Rabelais wrote:The Doom Bloom is wicked!. Does it have as much sustain as the Algal Bloom?.

Not on all settings...however :duck: I have revised it slightly to get more sustain out of it. It's a balancing act between mass, clipping, sustain, lows, and definition.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby Rabelais » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:11 am

magiclawnchair wrote:

Yes, yes it does! :thumb:

Tom Dalton wrote:

Not on all settings...however :duck: I have revised it slightly to get more sustain out of it. It's a balancing act between mass, clipping, sustain, lows, and definition.

Many thanks. I want one so badly!.
Rabelais

interested
interested

Return to FuzzHugger Effects