Older Fuzzhuggers

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Re: Older Fuzzhuggers

Postby JuJo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:40 pm

No worries, mostly I wanted to see what happened, cause I haven't really tried stacking any of those pedals. Just went back to the board and those 3 pedals make sweet sweet music together. :!!!:

Anyway, the pulsing tones I'm talking about would be similar to the Suneater demo you posted from musictoyz, there's a couple points in the demo (around 1:20 and 3:40) where he holds some sustained chords and it gets all beautifully rumbly and stuff. So it's like that, but much more pronounced and sustained due to the extra gain/fuzz involved. with the Velcroar->LR it gets to the point of almost lower octaves and stuff popping out in places. So not really tremolo like for the most part, but it kinda gets that way at times.

By pumping, I'm talking about an effect that happens sometimes with fuzz. If you really overload the pedal then what happens is your pick attack gets really squashed and clips much harder than the rest of note, so the effect you get is a kinda squashed pick attack that blooms shortly after and gets to full volume again. In certain degrees it can sound quite cool and be very useable, in really high doses it's a bit hard to work with. It happens a fair bit with the Suneater in the musictoyz demo in the really good and useable way.

By harmonics, yeah it's a sorta feedback type effect I guess. Basically the harmonics are what makes fuzz so great to me, they're all the little overtones, and high frequency stuff popping in and out on top of the notes you're playing.

Also I'm not really describing any popping or clicking, perhaps a bit with the extreme pumping, but definitely no abrasive pops or clicks in the sound.

Also, glad you enjoyed the videos, I do them mostly for the fun of it, and a chance to create some music. I don't have the time to play in active bands and stuff like I used to. I'm really glad to hear you enjoy and them and extra glad that they get a little attention for the awesome things that Tom builds. :thumb:

why must I use so many words? :idk:
JuJo

HERO
HERO

Postby Tristan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks again man, cool to hear you're enjoying yourself with those combo's! :)
I know exactly what you mean now, I love that pulsing rumbly crumbling down type stuff too, that's one of the great things what fuzz is about to me.
The pumping stuff is great too and I also think the Suneater is a superb example of that in a usable way, I've been trying it out for the last few days since Univalve was kind enough to lend it to me and I really love it so far.
I also love the harmonics some fuzz pedals have, it can give certain fuzz pedals a very unique sound.
Yep, sometimes it can get pretty difficult with bands and time and stuff so any chance to make music is welcome, I'm definitely also with you on that one and Tom makes great pedals which makes for a good excuse. ;) :)
Words, word, I usually need quite a few myself as well. :D

The sounds I'm looking for are basically:
Fuzz Face type sounds with the possibility to get a really fuzzy and blown out character with lots of artefacts and a big low end without sounding nasal (kind of like a Suneater which can have a bit more sustain without going into all out squash mode and the possibility to dial in more low end)
Trumpet / Horn Fuzz type sounds (the Suneater doesn't seem to completely do what I'm looking for in this regard, it sounds a bit too over the top and not deep enough maybe)
Synth Fuzz type sounds (maybe something with oscillation would be good for this or maybe a combo can get into lets say a bit opener sounding Velcrobot type territory)
Lo-Fi Overdrive type sounds (basically mostly the harmonics, pulsing and rumbling you're talking about but then without much gain and without sounding too muddy or overtaking)

It would be great if I could get two or three of those sounds and be able to footswitch between them.
Which combo do you guys think would be the most suitable in this case?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 am

Anyone, Tom maybe?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Can the Lab Ratchet + Fuzz Huger combo do these kind of sounds as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtOaxHz8ZzE

I might order something custom Fuzzhugger soon. :D
The Warmjet V coming my way will fill the lo-fi overdrive and synth fuzz sounds so now I mostly need a fuzz that does all the rocking stuff, the fattest nastiest fuzz face with artefacts alive and the full blown trumpet. :lol:
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JuJo » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

That sounds more like a Suneater to me. You could probably get pretty close to those sounds with some volume knob rolloff.

The Lab Ratchet can get you close on some settings, but the gate starts to kick in. So it`s not quite that chewy.

Pretty sure a Suneater will come pretty close though. Might be able to telly you for sure soon enough, when mine arrives :!!!:
JuJo

HERO
HERO

Postby Tristan » Fri May 02, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks man, I know, you're definitely right about the Suneater though there's something different about the sound in that other video (sustain, eq, character) that I really dig.
Anyway, I ordered something awesomely special from Tom so we'll see what that brings... :D
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Fri May 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Colour me curious!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Tristan » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Make that two things maybe, possibly…
Thanks to you, you mad dinosaur, you godzilla you, you make me do crazy things!!! :thumb: :hug:
:joy: :omg: :!!!:
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to FuzzHugger Effects