FuzzHugger(fx) tone descriptions, differences... (and vids!)

Moderator: FuzzHugger

FuzzHugger(fx) tone descriptions, differences... (and vids!)

Postby FuzzHugger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Algal Bloom - harmonic full-range/all-around fuzz...back off to some nice mellow and gritty overdrive tones...thick-but-balanced, loves complex chords. At its higher gain settings, searing with a hearty dose of gain. A more open all-around tone. Controls designed to alter texture and response. With the Bloom set to full, it's got an over-enunciated roar tone that (I think) sounds great for leads. Not related to either, but some have called it middle-ground between--or alternative to--a Big Muff Pi and a Fuzz Face.
-Algal Bloom vids: Video, Video 2, Bobby D's demo.
Algal Bloom reviews: Frugal Guitarist Review, WTDP review.

AB-Synth - higher gain than the Algal Bloom with light-labery sear decay overtones. With the gain cranked, it's compressed (from focused to splattery with the Texture knob), 9 o'clock and below it opens up. It's got about the craziest oscillation mode imaginable--anything goes, from blips, to filtered-synth-tones...but my favorite thing in oscillation mode is rolling back the guitar volume knob for some really stable and thick synth bass.
-AB-Synth vids: Video, Video 2, Proto Vid, AB-Synth Dual Footswitch vid, user vid part I, user vid part II (oscillation), Bobby D's demo, crxshdxmmy's demo, Ateah's demo.
User sound clip - on bass guitar!

Great Wall - A seriously huge, high-gain fuzz. Like a Bigger Big Muff (not related at all, circuit-wise)! Gained-up from the Algal Bloom, with fuzz packed twice as dense, and a big helping of bass. Volt Reducer allows for different textures and responses, and the Voice Toggle lets you add even more bass into the mix. Standard version has 3 controls: Fuzz, Volt, Level and is in a small enclosure. Several custom options are available, from 4-knob with Tone control, to a dual footswitch Deluxe Great Wall with 5 knobs!
-Great Wall vids: Video, Agreed's guitar+bass jam, Agreed's bass jam, Ateah's demo.

Arc Flash - 2 knobs, 1 mode toggle, as versatile as a 4 or 5-knobber, in an XS enclosure. From super transparent overdrives, to cutting distortion, to thick muffy fuzz, to grindy, to scrambled! From cleaner drives than any fuzz I've used to freakier than any non-oscillating fuzz I build. It's a super versatile secret weapon!
-Vids: Demo- guitar!, Demo - bass!.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Re: FuzzHugger(fx) tone descriptions, differences... (chime in!)

Postby FuzzHugger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:58 am

Differences, tone descriptions from online reviews...
Some helpful tonal descriptions pulled from reviews.

--Algal Bloom
"It has a very distinctive, full-throated innate sound that sounds fat but defined with chords and which makes lead lines thick and smooth [...]This is FuzzHugger Effects' entry into the world of your everyday use fuzz, the one pedal that's supposed to get your very own sound every time you turn it on, to be just right for the tune you want to play next as well as the one you're playing now. Its control layout is non-traditional for that niche." "...there are a lot of tones to be had from this pedal – it's the sort of fuzz that will keep a tweaker busy."
--Jeff Baker, FrugalGuitarist.com (review)

"Highly competent to get you to the sonic, wall of fuzz tone if that’s your bag, but versatile enough to achieve more subtle fuzz tones."
"Turning the Bloom (or Gain) knob give you more of a full-throat gain tone. Rolling off the Bloom knob gives you a thicker, darker low gain growl. With the Trim knob full right, the circuit is letting full signal hit the circuit. As you roll it back, the signal diminishes and gives you a thinner tone more prone to sputter and fizz."
Other description high-lights:
"Almost any fuzz can blow your doors with high gain goodness, but not all can get soulful."
"...fuzz-tastic lead tone."
"...listen to the bloom roar."
"...start to deprive the circuit of juice...you should notice a more brittle tone."
--Blake, WhatsThatDudePlay.com (review)

--1134 (to be reincarnated in a smaller enclosure w/ new controls)
..."it is a roaring, spitting, howling fuzz with a hint of sub-octave at the beginning of notes unlike any other fuzz I've ever heard. This is the pedal's “signature sound,” to my view. However, backing off of either of the knobs puts the pedal into more traditional fuzz territory, though it never loses its unique sonic profile and remains fairly bright and cutting."
--Jeff Baker, FrugalGuitarist.com (review)
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Re: FuzzHugger(fx) tone descriptions, differences... (and vids!)

Postby FuzzHugger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 am

Here's a quick clip of the AB-Synth bass mod:
http://www.fuzzhugger.com/files/absynthbassmod.wav
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby leastwise » Sun May 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Very useful. :thumb:

I like this.
:joy: things to do, things to re-do :omg:
leastwise

experienced
experienced

Postby McSpunckle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 pm

So... sounds like I want an AB-Synth. And a Great Wall. And all those other pedals.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: FuzzHugger(fx) tone descriptions, differences... (and vi

Postby inface » Fri May 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I went from having 2 of them to 3 of them today! :ilf:

HELL YES! :omg:
inface

committed
committed

Postby magiclawnchair » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

:excellent:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby inface » Sat May 29, 2010 5:49 pm

magiclawnchair wrote::excellent:

Yes.. :excellent: