The New Upper!

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Re: The New Upper!

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Not aware of any, I'd make one myself but my bass and recording gear are elsewhere right now... I'll see if I can get anything remotely representative with a bass vi direct in.

EDIT:

Here's a recording of the Upper and a fuck and tafm to show how it stacks, Squier Bass VI to m-audio computer interface.

Doesn't exactly sound wonderful but I think it shows the cool way it keeps low end while also being bright and is very trashy and fun stacked. You get a lot more audible octave up on higher notes, I didn't really demo that, but that's pretty standard for any octave up!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Awesome, thanks for the clip!
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:26 pm

I haven't seen an awful lot of bass clips in general. Someone should make it a point to demo them all. Excane? Bendhy? Uncle G?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blindrabbit » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 am

Bassist_Diver wrote:So.... how does it work on bass?

I just got my Upper, and...I'm having a tough time with it. Maybe it is how I'm using it. I was trying to add a slightly dirty octave up to some chordal parts that I do in one tune, and its pretty glitchy. I'm losing any definition with it, and that's before running it into or after dirt...just turns into a wall of sound, which is cool in and of itself, but not the effect I'm looking for.

When playing single notes, it seems to do fine, and funny enough it even seems to be happier down lower on the neck.

I dunno, maybe I'm not setting it right or something? :idk: I tried running through a variety of settings, but nothing has grabbed me yet.

Any suggestions on what to try or do?
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:09 am

Analog octavers won't do chords, due to how the octave is generated.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby blindrabbit » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 am

goroth wrote:Analog octavers won't do chords, due to how the octave is generated.

Ok, so bear with my ignorance here. I knew that for sure about an analog octave downs. But I thought that superfuzzes and brassmasters sounded fine with chording and regular playing...or maybe I'm just flat out wrong here?
Last edited by blindrabbit on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby FuzzHugger » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

The Upper does single-note octave up, the effect being strongest using your neck pickup, and esp above the 12th fret. Bias is around 12 noon...you can find the most accurate octave there. You're welcome to return it if it's not for you!
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby blindrabbit » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am

Tom Dalton wrote:The Upper does single-note octave up, the effect being strongest using your neck pickup, and esp above the 12th fret. Bias is around 12 noon...you can find the most accurate octave there. You're welcome to return it if it's not for you!

*sigh* Is it ok if I try it out a little more first? I keep thinking this must be user error on my part, because I hear good demos with it, but something isn't working out for me. I'll give it another shot tonight and see what happens. Appreciate you extending the return option, I'll let you know. :)
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to FuzzHugger Effects