Goodbye, Great Wall. (+ 6 final special custom GWs!)

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Goodbye, Great Wall. (+ 6 final special custom GWs!)

Postby FuzzHugger » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi everyone! :hello: Welcome to the goodbye thread for the Great Wall.

Gather 'round and raise your candles! :)

The Great Wall followed the Algal Bloom and AB-Synth as one of the earliest FuzzHugger pedals. And it became the most ever-changing FuzzHugger pedal ever. I tried lots of different versions and lots of graphics, never quite settling on one. Also, it was the first FuzzHugger pedal (to my knowledge) that ended up in famous hands (Nels Cline from Wilco, and Henry Kaiser).
Despite that, it never became the hit that Algal Bloom and AB-Synth did. But it's not sales numbers, or any financial strain that's ending the Great Wall. Just the general feeling that it has completed its run. I did everything imaginable with it, from stripped down, to feature-packed, to insane custom oscillating versions! I know there are people out there who love their Great Wall, and I hope they continue to. I'm proud of the pedal. It ran well.

To give it a proper sendoff, I've compiled a pictorial history of the Great Wall! :)

ALSO, available now are 6 special Custom Great Walls! Anyone who buys one of the 6 receives 15% off their next direct-ordered FuzzHugger Effects pedal. As always, thank you so much for your support.

The first Great Wall prototype! Only one, has now been lost due to dismantling as I scavenged parts for other protos.

The first custom Great Wall.

The first popular run of the Great Wall featured four knobs and a bypassable Tone circuit.
ImageImageImage

Also around that time, the Great Wall Dlx! Based on the early 5-knob design.

Then came the most popular Great Wall graphic! Even got a couple complaints about it being in poor taste. ;)

Then came a small number of 3-knob Great Walls. (Ben Nerison did some art for these.)
ImageImageImageImage

In Dec 09 / Jan 10 came two new Great Wall designs (along with some minor circuit tweaking). These were short-lived...I liked the graphics, but HT said he thought I was smoking too much weed.
ImageImage

The Greatest Wall (oscillating Great Wall Dlx.) came in around this time as a special-order only design.

And I did some crazy customs in 09/10. (The lower one, I think is/was in the Art of the Stompbox exhibit in CA.)
ImageImage

There were a few other painted ones along the way...as well as just one of these "storm" graphic Great Walls in Japan (angry clouds forming a sort of flying horsehead, which has also been called the flying vagina Great Wall).
ImageImage

Finally! The longest-running Great Wall. Originally the Dlx, these became the standard Great Wall. The longest the Great Wall graphic & feature-set stayed the same.
ImageImage

Nels Cline and Henry Kaiser with the Great Wall! As I understand, Nels was quite taken with the pedal, so Henry gave it to him after this jam session. (On DVD as the Art of the Stompbox, available here.)

Here are the last Great Walls. A limited run of SIX special, custom Great Walls. Individually numbered inside, 1-6. Five are at Prymaxe (there are two red ones, one of which is headed to Belgium). Anyone who buys one of the 6 receives 15% off their next direct-ordered FuzzHugger Effects pedal.

ImageImageImageImageImage
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Re: Goodbye, Great Wall. (+ 6 final special custom GWs!)

Postby magiclawnchair » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:12 am

so what you are saying is the 1134 never happened??? :p

and you are killing the great wall. i have a heartben v2, a greatest wall in the blooming wall of fuzz and a teabagger... a great circuit and an awesome name... :cry:

rip great wall, you will always be rocked in my house!!! :hug:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:12 am

I owned steevdeadman's blacked-out Great Wall (Dlx.?) for a while. I liked it alot. I'm glad this pedal is getting a proper send-off!
McSpunckle wrote:Pee, on the other hand, is full of other things that make it more conductive. That's why you don't pee outside in a lightning storm without first putting on your steel dick sheath.

htsamurai wrote:sharpie is my hero and lover

http://www.youtube.com/sevensharpnine
sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby one bad monkey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 am

Tom, very cool of you to give the Great Wall a send-off like this.

Artist | Bassist
one bad monkey

experienced
experienced

Postby rattler420 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 pm

glad i got a greatest wall, it kicks ass. super wide variety of tones i can get from it
rattler420

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Another one bites the dust :(
Teabagger, BGF, 1134, Groundswell, and now the Great Wall
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 pm

I still love my custom one [the purple one ^]

So...
WHATS NEXT?!?!?!?!?
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Haki » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Is that Belgium one headed to Crush the Button? About time they started to stock Fuzzhugger!

As sad as it is to see this go, I do like the memorial you did. It's great to see how your pedals and artwork have evolved over the years. Which brings us to

Mudfuzz wrote:So...
WHATS NEXT?!?!?!?!?
Haki

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby FuzzHugger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Haki wrote:Is that Belgium one headed to Crush the Button? About time they started to stock Fuzzhugger!

YES! Big update on the way. :)

Mudfuzz wrote:So...
WHATS NEXT?!?!?!?!?

FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby Thomas2508 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm

By far my favorite fuzz! Might have to buy one of the last six to have a backup.
Thomas2508

committed
committed

Postby sutarappa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:03 pm

There is a 500 character limit.
sutarappa

committed
committed

Postby FuzzHugger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 pm

sutarappa wrote:Image

New smiley for sure!
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby theactionindex » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 pm

The Group Hug/Circle Jerk smiley is perfect for such a momentous occasion.

Given that this is my last chance to jump on a GW, I think I'm going to have to spend some money I shouldn't be spending. I can always sell some bodily fluids for extra cash I guess. :idk:

Are these going to be up on the Prymaxe site, or should we e-mail/call them direct to grab one?
theactionindex

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby FuzzHugger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:42 pm

theactionindex wrote:Are these going to be up on the Prymaxe site, or should we e-mail/call them direct to grab one?

I'm not sure if they're going up on their site, on eBay, or what. Some batches of FH have sold before making it on either...so it might be best to email or call. :)
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby onelouderash » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 pm

sevenSHARPnine wrote:I owned steevdeadman's blacked-out Great Wall (Dlx.?) for a while. I liked it alot. I'm glad this pedal is getting a proper send-off!

I wound up with that Great Wall for a minute, too! :thumb: Lovely pedal, I hope whoever's got it now is enjoying the hell out of it.
onelouderash

committed
committed

Next

Return to FuzzHugger Effects