Which pedal can best substitute the Wolf Computer?

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Which pedal can best substitute the Wolf Computer?

Postby Snufkino » Sat May 22, 2010 2:25 pm

So I've got the original Mellowtone WC but don't want to bash it around much (since it might be worth something in the future), and the FH WC is now discontinued ... so which fuzz will offer similar 8-bit glitch fuzz sounds? I've been tempted to go for the mini WC or maybe a Devi Ever Bit, but would prefer something more tweakable. I'm thinking along the lines of the AB-Synth or the Chalice. Any suggestions, even beyond FH pedals?

:hello:
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Re: Which pedal can best substitute the Wolf Computer?

Postby Jero » Sat May 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Never played the WC or the Chalice, but the ABsynth will certainly not let you down :thumb:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 pm

If you really dig the WC sound, I'd just grab a Mini Wolf CPU for sure. It basically sounds like a WC with the fuzz maxed, with the Texture knob acting as the Sag. It has a surprisingly good range of sounds and does cool things with your volume knob.

Never played a Bit :idk: Always wanted to though.
McSpunckle wrote:Pee, on the other hand, is full of other things that make it more conductive. That's why you don't pee outside in a lightning storm without first putting on your steel dick sheath.

htsamurai wrote:sharpie is my hero and lover

http://www.youtube.com/sevensharpnine
sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Big Mon » Sat May 22, 2010 3:57 pm

The Bit is a great fuzz!!! But it doesn't do the pitch-jumping,glitchy octave stuff. There is a variant of the Fuzzhugger Velcroar with an oscillation section,called the Velcroscillator you may want to look into. That does the motorboating of the Wolf CPU and the glitchy stuff. Plus,it has the velcro-ish texture. 3 knobs,works great with p90's or humbuckers. If you play a strat or tele style guitar,maybe just go with the mini wolf. Also consider the Phantom Arcade :evil: for it is perhaps,the greatest pedlul ever made
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby steevdeadman » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

ummm... I can get some Wolf CPU tones from The Great Destroyer (the circuits are very similar).
"abandon all hope ye who crush that button..." :rock:

Jrmy: Exactly - "the fuzz is strong with that one."
steevdeadman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby floating opera » Sun May 23, 2010 2:47 pm

i haz TGD & i really don't see how it could sub for a Wolf CPU IMO. two very different beasts. the self osc that TGD does vs the motorboating/glitching of the Wolf CPU? its just two very different dynamics sonically. its why i want one so bad now. had i known that the Wolf CPU was gonna be in limbo like this i would have gotten it first.

there are tons of glitchy fuzzes--Fuzz Factor e.g.--out there: would anyone of them substitute for the Wolf CPU. answer is a big fat NO.

that said. i would just say try to score a 2nd one USED or have someone make you a Wolf CPU clone. or something...

:)
Tom Dalton wrote:The problem wasn't that it was a guy tonguing another guy's ass...it's that anyone was tonguing anyone's ass.

floating opera

committed
committed

Postby FuzzHugger » Sun May 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Yeah, if you want a Wolf Computer, I'd say wait for a used or new one to come along. The Mini CPU will get you some of those tones.

I personally don't see the Bit, AB-Synth/Chalice, or TGD doing much of the WC.

Bloog's suggestion of a Velcroar or Velcroscillator is the closest in my experience...the circuit shares nothing in common with the WC, but...the Velcroar does share some tonal characteristics--mega-textured, slightly bit-crushed tones (and the oscillating version does some drones, and its own style of octave down and filtered fuzz). It's a bit stickier, and has its own flavor.
If you want a backup WC, I'd suggest waiting for one to come along...if you want to explore some different tones from the same realm, the Velcroar might interest you.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby Snufkino » Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone. After going through all the demos, the velcroar was one of my preffered choices, so that's definitely a possibility given the general consensus here aswell. :thumb:

Incidentally, why did the run of WC's come to an end?
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby floating opera » Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm

RIP Jose Lima

:cry: :( :cry:
Tom Dalton wrote:The problem wasn't that it was a guy tonguing another guy's ass...it's that anyone was tonguing anyone's ass.

floating opera

committed
committed

Postby smithdwsn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 am

Yes, Mini Wolf CPU is best substitute for wolf computer. It is nice and there is no problem regarding this. It is the most suitable option for that.
smithdwsn

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby floating opera » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm

the more i think of it this route seems like the best option if you could dial in the tone to the Mini CPU that you wanted from your full enclosure Wolf CPU.

me personally though i would just try to nab another Wolf CPU used. that is what i am eventually going to do w/ TGD. just buy another one.

:)*

floating opera

committed
committed

Return to FuzzHugger Effects