Dumb Molecule Questions

Moderator: autopilot

Dumb Molecule Questions

Postby drbob1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:02 am

Just picked one of these up used (at Chicago Music Exchange), with the LFO mod. I'm not quite sure what the controls are and what this is doing. Specifically, what do Filter I, Filter II do? The basic idea is a tremelo with rate driven by guitar input volume? And the LFO is added on top of that to control sensitivity in a cyclic manner? And the CV input controls the rate of the LFO? Is there a manual somewhere?
drbob1

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Dumb Molecule Questions

Postby sonidero » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 am

Molecule is a Frequency Related amplitude modulator with lots of control to satisfy your tweaking desires and get fresh, wild and crazy tones. The sound is like a choppy tremolo and a filter, the rate of the cut/choppyness is set by the frequency of the upcoming signal, lower notes produces some slow stuttery notes, while high notes get ultrafast stutter, plus there are 2 filter controls for maximun sonic pleasure, providing lots of control, flexibility and options for experimentation.

Also plugging a guitar is a lot of fun, specially if you use it to push your amp or stack with an overdrive pedal to get some awesome choppy riff or filtered techno leads for awesome tonage.
The molecule is a party pedal, highly recommend it for people who likes to create electronic grooves, electronica sounds, weird sounds, cool sounds, new sounds.

Mess around with it??? :idk:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby drbob1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah, I read that. But the frequency of the stutter also (or instead of) seems tied to the volume of the note, not the frequency. And the description of the pedal initially suggested that the filter knobs were going to control filter frequency and filter resonance, but it seems to my ears like it's two filters with control over frequency, one with the pot reversed... But the filter knobs also seem to have some impact on the frequency of the trem?
drbob1

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby autopilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 am

the molecule, takes the input frequency as a guide to change the rate of the stutter, the filter knobs change the cutoff (the filter isnt tied to the stutter frequency). If yours have a knob on the side and a jack, is to send the filter resonance into oscillation in a rhythmic pattern, you'll need to plug a keyboard switch or a tap switch on the jack, and adjust the filters knobs and the knob on the side
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drbob1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

Interesting. I plugged the output of a Moog LFO into the jack and got a weird thing where the rate of the tremelo seemed to change as the LFO cycled. But if I plug in a momentary switch (normall on or off?) it'll self oscillate in a rhythmic fashion when I step on it?

So, the two filter knobs do set the cutoff frequency. And they're wired in opposite directions (CW is highest frequency on II, CCW on I)? Is there a way to independently set the gain of the filters? I won't have a chance to play with this till Sunday. I'll be back...
drbob1

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby autopilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 pm

yeah, it will open and close with the external cv, but isnt properly wired for external cv, since the jack doesnt have a reference ground to properly recognize the external cv, and one of the lugs on the jack will be opening and closing forcing one of the ic in long term to give up. It doesnt matter, but it will be better if its normally open, so when you press the switch the madness starts.

Both knobs interact, where the 3, you can control the gain more precisely with the upper one, the cutoff with the bottom one and the rhythmic osc with the one on the side, but at the same time the oscillation interact with the 2 knobs so you are going to be for some fun tweaking
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Copilot fx