2 weeks with a Polypus

Moderator: autopilot

2 weeks with a Polypus

Postby Lintybits » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am

Had my Polypus for 2 weeks now, used it twice with the band. Allow me to sum up my experiences so far with this visual representation -

:drool: :eek: :love: :mad: :idk: :idea: :love: :thumb:

When it got here I took it to practice without having plugged it in and loved it right away. Didn't have a chance to play with it until next practice where I had a tough time with it and wasn't sure it was saying.

This pedal has a lot going on, I assumed it was a simple trem but should have known better. Played mostly with the wave shapes at first and neglected the ratio, which makes a huge difference. Still getting to know it but the more time I spend the more I love it again. Great job Adam :thumb:

Here's a crappy clip from a jam where I used it . Sorry I don't have anything better at this point but I will.

Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Re: 2 weeks with a Polypus

Postby Bellyheart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Tight jams.
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby autopilot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm

so awesome, the next time, when you play put the wave knob on the escallonated (the 5th one) and ratio in 2 or 4, do not tap let the original/factory rate. and then rock out, if you feel more 70s purist put the sample and hold (3rd wave) and ratio in 1 or 1/2
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lintybits » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm

autopilot wrote:so awesome, the next time, when you play put the wave knob on the escallonated (the 5th one) and ratio in 2 or 4, do not tap let the original/factory rate. and then rock out, if you feel more 70s purist put the sample and hold (3rd wave) and ratio in 1 or 1/2

I'll try that. I'm almost used to how it works now :lol:

Bellyheart wrote:Tight jams.

thanks, the rest of that jam is pretty bad.

We got into an hour long fight/drama bitch fest a few minutes after that, forgot to stop recording and have it all on tape. :facepalm:
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby wdinc01 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:08 pm

How does the Polypus compare to the EQD Hummingbird? Just more options? I've only seen the Pyremax video demo of the Polypus, and that doesn't really tell me much.
Achtane wrote:ILF: Instead of reducing the dimensions of the board, just fill it up with pedals until it looks right.

D.o.S. wrote:But it's Canadian. So it might be too polite.

D.o.S. wrote:Dude now you have distortion and sustain.

The dream.
wdinc01

experienced
experienced

Postby Bellyheart » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 am

Well from videos...more waves, tap tempo, ratio, less time control(but in an half empty half full way).
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wdinc01 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 am

I see that. I guess what I meant to ask was could it cop a Hummingbird/Percussion tremolo sound, since I'm looking for a hard choppy trem. The other thing is I haven't heard any clips of it going fast enough to tell if it could sound like that.
Achtane wrote:ILF: Instead of reducing the dimensions of the board, just fill it up with pedals until it looks right.

The dream.
wdinc01

experienced
experienced

Postby Lintybits » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 am

haven't played them side by side but I'd say the Humming bird has a harder/faster chop
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby insubordination » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:17 am

Having owned both I would say the Hummingbird does a better "pure" repeat percussion sound, and has wayyyyy more volume on tap, actually too much but it's nice to have that option I guess.

However, the Polypus is just so damn versatile, it outweighs any drawbacks (and believe me there are not many), and when you crank the Range knob, you can get some serious chop, so it can get that repeat percussion sound pretty much right on anyway. Way better value for the money too.
Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby simmerman11 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Can you get a traditional, really clean tremolo sound from the polypus? (no lofiness from the range knob) From the prymaxe video it sounded like they were getting weirdness no matter where they set it.
simmerman11

interested
interested

Postby wdinc01 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 pm

insubordination wrote:Having owned both I would say the Hummingbird does a better "pure" repeat percussion sound, and has wayyyyy more volume on tap, actually too much but it's nice to have that option I guess.

However, the Polypus is just so damn versatile, it outweighs any drawbacks (and believe me there are not many), and when you crank the Range knob, you can get some serious chop, so it can get that repeat percussion sound pretty much right on anyway. Way better value for the money too.

I just bought Lindybit's old Hummingbird. I really wanted that hard chop. The Polypus does look like I could get a couple of more options, with the step wave looking really interesting. But it doesn't seem like I can really control the speed with a knob. Is the ratio knob like a multiplier for the speed?

The dream.
wdinc01

experienced
experienced

Postby Lintybits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

simmerman11 wrote:Can you get a traditional, really clean tremolo sound from the polypus? (no lofiness from the range knob) From the prymaxe video it sounded like they were getting weirdness no matter where they set it.

you can depending on where the range knob is, that lofi crackle goes away about 1/2 way up. I like to leave a little of it in.

wdinc01 wrote:I just bought Lindybit's old Hummingbird. I really wanted that hard chop. The Polypus does look like I could get a couple of more options, with the step wave looking really interesting. But it doesn't seem like I can really control the speed with a knob. Is the ratio knob like a multiplier for the speed?

:hello:

It think it is. Only tap to set the speed, which I really suck at :facepalm:
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby autopilot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 pm

wdinc01 - the ratio is a multiplier of the tap x1, x2, x4 or x1/2. No rate/speed knob

simmerman - if you mean smooth slow swells like going from 7 to 10 on your volume knob, nope, the degradation is more noticeable when you're on slow rates, the idea was to have something like a tube amp when it's warming and then hit the spot (no sound - saturation - clean), i prefer to have the range at full and mostly fast rates.

i also like the rate knob with exp over tap, but since everyone is about tap tempo i thought that was the cool kids prefer. i could do it with rate knob instead of tap, and be clean (no degradation), but that might be a custom request.
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby wdinc01 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Would it be possible for you or someone to make a video demonstrating the ratio knob? I think I have an idea on how it sounds, but I'd still be interested in seeing it.

The dream.
wdinc01

experienced
experienced

Postby stripes » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am

i've heard that the polypus will, at random, disregard your tapped in tempo and either speed it way up or slow it way down. i would really like to get one, but if that's the case, i wouldn't be able to as i would use it live.
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Copilot fx