DELAY TALK.

Moderators: aens_wife, aen

Re: DELAY TALK.

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Strange Tales wrote:I don't know how possible it is, but I think it would be cool to have a delay that would sweep back and forth between reverse and actual delay. Or a delay that has a filter sweep through it as well with controllable frequency and resonance.

Or something that plays a forward and reverse delay at the same time.

Have a whole digital fx unit that applies strange things to the delay only. Tremolo, chorus, vibrato, ring mod, etc.

Each repeat is a reverse that then trails on in a regular fashion?
Like fractals?

So Note>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails) etc
Like a multihead but betterer.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Random everything.
Stereo panning outputs.
Momentary freakout switch.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:31 am

Trails and a momentary switch so I can play a riff and capture the very end of it, and it will decay naturally while I play over the trails. This could also maybe be a simple looper if you kept it from self oscillating? Shit, I don't know.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:45 am

I wanna delay that makes me sound like Adrian Belew making elephant noises:

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:Random everything.
Stereo panning outputs.
Momentary freakout switch.

Coooooool! The way I'm imagining it you could use it like a Raptio - every time you hit the momentary it shuffles the delay parameters. Hold out a note, hit that switch a rhythmically and let the glitch happen.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chuckjaywalk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:00 am

Dirty, dirty, nasty fucking repeats.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PanicProne » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:09 am

Posted some of it on twitter, but will throw it out here again, just because.
Modulation of many "kinds/waveforms" a la the MF 104m is brilliant. Yes please to that. EQ knob on my Diamond MLN2 is just the best thing ever, so you should have something similar. I know you said digital, but since everyone's asking for glitchy stuff (which I totally agree on and is what dwarfcraft does best!) a "wrecked" side or mode to the pedal would be cool. Also, it has to oscillate nicely (again, Dwarfcraft expertise territory here). Some kind of dirt/fuzz knob to dial in on the repeats?
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby oscillateur » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 am

Something simple enough to implement but that would set a delay apart from most of what's available now :

- effect loop in the delay's feedback path, so that people could make each repeat go through any effect or combination of effects they want.

Something else, inspired by what I guess is either some hardware restriction or more likely lazy code in the Boss DD20 (but the result is awesome) :

Code the thing so that you're always using a big-ass data buffer in which you record the audio. Use only part of it depending on the delay time setting. Now, the important part : do not delete/reset it when changing delay time. Just keep the data there even if it's not used.

This just by itself is not necessarily awesome, you need to seamlessly access different parts of the delay buffer to make it wonderful. A couple of obvious ways :

- have a series of preset time divisions and enable switching between severaĺof them with a button or footswitch. That's what the DD20 can do. You can easily end up with previous bits of recorded data superposed with new stuff, stuttering sounds, etc.

- more interesting : have an offset parameter that determines the current reading/recording starting point in your data buffer (instead of 0 by default). Then have this parameter accessible through a pot/CV input/internal modulation.

Seriously, that second thing would make an awesome pedal and I'm surprised nobody's done anything like that yet. If you're interested in this idea I can make you a small demo recording of what the DD20 can do when properly abused once I'm back from my holidays... :joy:
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:52 am

Make it go
brrring bahRing BowRang ksh BROWROWp pkssshhhh Browp Browp brop brp
You know, with science....
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:08 am

Iommic Pope wrote:
Strange Tales wrote:I don't know how possible it is, but I think it would be cool to have a delay that would sweep back and forth between reverse and actual delay. Or a delay that has a filter sweep through it as well with controllable frequency and resonance.

Or something that plays a forward and reverse delay at the same time.

Have a whole digital fx unit that applies strange things to the delay only. Tremolo, chorus, vibrato, ring mod, etc.

Each repeat is a reverse that then trails on in a regular fashion?
Like fractals?

So Note>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails)>trail(=reverse-repeat-trails) etc
Like a multihead but betterer.

I was more thinking of like a back and forth sweeping effect with a Time knob where the knob has negative values that correspond to reverse delay time.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Ah I gotcha.
That could be a lot of fun, indeed.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Devonblue » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:10 am

Glitchy sampling! I'd love somthing with a
-3 second looper/sampler
-expression input that allows you to either change time and or direction of the delay/loop. I.e forward at the heel of the expression and reverse at the toe.
- and a random mode will do all the the above.
I don't want another delay pedal that sounds great... I want somthing kinda fuq'd...
On my existing board I have to use three different delays to do somthing close to this. Check out my Instagram
devonbluewhitaker.
Devonblue

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:59 am

Envelope controlled parameters. Strum harder for longer (or shorter!) delay times or more repeats!!!
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:46 pm

I worked on this a bunch on friday night. I'm going to talk with a digital engineer ASAP, and hopefully cram a shit load of good shit in one box. Roughly ten knobs, if I can get everything I want.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 pm

aen wrote:ten knobs

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dwarfcraft Devices